Changes

Monk Monkton

Reaction score
With an 15 month old baby, I have been reintroduced to Sesame Street.

What happened??

Now this is in no way a thread to rip my favorite childrens show, but to me it seems like its the same show everyday.

First its the actual Sesame Street segment.

Then its the letter of the day.

Then its the number of the day.

The its the Journey to Ernie.

Then its (thank God) a classic Burt and Ernie segment.

Then its the number of the day.

Then its the Spanish word of the day.

Then its Grovers segment.

Then its (help us all) 20 minutes of Elmo.

It seems like the only time we see characters like Cookie Monster and the Count are when they do there (fill in the blank) of the day.

They arent even on the Sesame Street set anymore.

I know change is good, but to me it seem like a cop out. I know exactly whats coming next.

What happened to the human characters? Wheres Gordon, Susan, Luis, Maria, and Bob?

Whos the guy running Hoopers Shop??

What happened to Big Birds voice??

I guess this is a rant and Im sure its been talk about here before.

I do admit that I love seeing the look on my daughters face when she watches the show.

I just wish she could experience the same show I grew up with.

P.S....What happened to Allison Bartlett? I actually went to elementary school with her and no longer see her on the show.

P.S.S..Whats the name of the beautiful black girl on the show. She is stunning.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score

What happened??
Barney and Teletubbies; they wanted to be more infant friendly because, per the producers of Teletubbies, if you repeat what happens over and over then kids know what to expect and learn from it better. By keeping things in a particular order they know where and when to expect a particular segment. You also forgot Baby Bear's something of the day, too. Sheesh...it bugs me, too.

Now this is in no way a thread to rip my favorite childrens show, but to me it seems like its the same show everyday. First its the actual Sesame Street segment. Then its the letter of the day. Then its the number of the day. The its the Journey to Ernie. Then its (thank God) a classic Burt and Ernie segment. Then its the number of the day. Then its the Spanish word of the day. Then its Grovers segment. Then its (help us all) 20 minutes of Elmo.

It seems like the only time we see characters like Cookie Monster and the Count are when they do there (fill in the blank) of the day. They arent even on the Sesame Street set anymore. I know change is good, but to me it seem like a cop out. I know exactly whats coming next.
See my above statements about Teletubbies producers...

What happened to the human characters? Wheres Gordon, Susan, Luis, Maria, and Bob? Whos the guy running Hoopers Shop??
They got bumped for segments of the day, and his name is Alan (a broadway actor). I like Alan, he's kind and soft spoken with the characters.

What happened to Big Birds voice??
Carroll Spinney still does it, except in Journey to Ernie, and it's then Carroll's understudy, Matt Vogel (who Carroll is personally training to take on Big Bird in case of unfortunate events). Matt's Big Bird sounds more like a 70's style, deeper throated voice than current day Big Bird.

I guess this is a rant and Im sure its been talk about here before. I do admit that I love seeing the look on my daughters face when she watches the show. I just wish she could experience the same show I grew up with.
DON'T WE ALL?!

P.S....What happened to Allison Bartlett? I actually went to elementary school with her and no longer see her on the show.
She's got a thread here about appearing on The Sopranos soon!

P.S.S..Whats the name of the beautiful black girl on the show. She is stunning.
This, I have no idea about; but, it could be Gabriella, Luis and Maria's daughter.

roadrat15

Reaction score
The thing that irritates me is that the producers seem to think that the grown ups who used to watch don't count in this occasion;just the pre school set.If I had kids,I would never let them watch today's Sesame "Elmo Monster Clubhouse Journey To Oblivion" Street. There's no magic left. I am so sick of the 'new' characters.I suppose I should not have an opinion 'because I'm stuck in the past'.Sue me!I shall now go and beat up a wall!

Klonoa

Reaction score
I think that as long as the people who make Sesame Street keep kids as the focal point of the show, I'll be happy. As long as they make their child audience the priiority, then that's OK with me. It may mean that, whenever I have kids, that I may not be able to watch Sesame Street with them and get all nostalgic, and that does make me a little sad, but Sesame Street is a show for kids. As long as they're doing their research and finding out what kids like to watch and how they learn best from it, then I'm OK with the changes. Although deep down I may still be a bit disappointed that it's not what I used to watch.

--Klonoa

Drtooth

Reaction score
Klonoa said:
I think that as long as the people who make Sesame Street keep kids as the focal point of the show, I'll be happy. As long as they make their child audience the priiority, then that's OK with me. It may mean that, whenever I have kids, that I may not be able to watch Sesame Street with them and get all nostalgic, and that does make me a little sad, but Sesame Street is a show for kids. As long as they're doing their research and finding out what kids like to watch and how they learn best from it, then I'm OK with the changes. Although deep down I may still be a bit disappointed that it's not what I used to watch.
FINALLY... this is exactly how I feel.

>>There's no magic left. I am so sick of the 'new' characters.I suppose I should not have an opinion 'because I'm stuck in the past'.Sue me!I shall now go and beat up a wall!<<

yeah... the magic of psychadelic pinball number counts, 70's style game show hosts, and all that stuff is gone... but the magic of the show for a young child is still there.... the magic of the muppets is still there....

Klona summed it up nicely.... it's a dissappointment, sure, but the only Kids/Adults connection they want to make is a show that children and parents can watch, not a show a 21+ guy can watch.

Plus, on the bright side, "Monster Clubhouse" and "Hero guy" seem to have bombed, and they're quickly being phased out of the show...

Censored

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:

What happened??
Barney and Teletubbies; they wanted to be more infant friendly because, per the producers of Teletubbies, if you repeat what happens over and over then kids know what to expect and learn from it better. By keeping things in a particular order they know where and when to expect a particular segment. You also forgot Baby Bear's something of the day, too. Sheesh...it bugs me, too.
And THAT is my main complaint about the current state of Sesame Street. It's just the Teletubbies and Barney with different characters playing the roles. It's totally lost its identity. It's not all about nostalgia. Parents and grandparents weren't nostalgic about Sesame Street when they used to watch it with kids in the early 70's. It was just that the show was cleverly written in order to appeal to adults as well as children. It had an edge with a lot of witty humor.

As for research, as a social work major, I can tell you that it can all be highly subjective. The accuracy of the results depends on how well the research was conducted. There are often flaws in research studies which cause them to be conducted again with new information that contradicts previous information. Instead of worrying about children being "traumatized" by seeing a baker falling down the stairs, those psychologists ought to get up from their comfortable offices and get out into the community and address real issues that children have to deal with every day like poverty, abuse, hunger, family turmoil, and other real issues. I work with this population of children and I wish the biggest "problem" any child ever had to face was seeing a baker falling down the stairs. Sheesh. The world needs to get some perspective. Besides, what do these psychologists think that CTW was doing for the past 30 years when they were showing all of those "horrible" old segments that were not good for children? According to these "experts", CTW must have either been run by a bunch of sadists and/or idiots for the better part of its existence. Give me a break. We're looking for a demon in every innocent thing these days and ignoring the real crises in life. JMO

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
yes the girl is Gabby, the little girl that has been on there since she was a baby, and its the same Miles too.
I too am mad about the way it is, BUT its much better this year, I was quite pleased today when i saw it. But yeah, 20 (actulay like 30) min if elmo is to much, its not Elmos street, sorry, I actulay turn off sessame street when he comes on, i mean its half the show for peets sake! (I saw the episode with Seth Green with the Letter of hte day, very funny)

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i think some of the concerns Psycologist have are understandable. but some things they claim are questionable. 1 of the more wierd fidings wich i do qustion is how they claim about their audience being younger today than yesterday. from 4-6 and now they're ages 2-whatever. maybe it's true. my earliest memory is at age 2 and always rememebr waching SS and my sister wached it i think around the same age. i'm sure there were plenty of others of my time to watched SS that young.

Jessica

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
yes the girl is Gabby, the little girl that has been on there since she was a baby, and its the same Miles too.
I too am mad about the way it is, BUT its much better this year, I was quite pleased today when i saw it. But yeah, 20 (actulay like 30) min if elmo is to much, its not Elmos street, sorry, I actulay turn off sessame street when he comes on, i mean its half the show for peets sake! (I saw the episode with Seth Green with the Letter of hte day, very funny)
You know what? I agree with you. The new season that came out is LOADS better than season 34. I think the producers have finally got it to their heads that we don't want as much as Elmo.

Actually, today, when I saw it, Elmo was not even in the actual show until his segment. Oscar has his own segment now, which marks the very end of the show, and includes him reading "The Adventures of Trashcan Gordon" ( Or something similar to that ) to Slimey. At least we'll probably be getting more of him this season! :grouchy:

ssetta

Reaction score
I think you're right about the producers. In fact, the executive producer who was there from 1993-2002, Michael Loman, was the main man who didn't really want the show to be for kids of all ages. He wanted it to strictly be for younger kids. So, I'm glad he's gone! :smile: