characters that should have been in Muppets Tonight

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Are there any TMS characters that you wish had made the crossover to Muppets Tonight?
The main character I would have liked to see play a prominent role is :crazy:
He could have been a significant MT character because he was easily noticed among all the muppets in the cold opening of Michell Pfieffer's episode. He could I'm sure have been the mad bomber of the tv studio just as easily as he had been of the Vaudeville Theater.
In the Sandra Bullock episode when they begin to search for the terrorist threatening to bomb the studio Harry could have said "I'd love to meet this man. He sounds just like my sort of fellow."
Then when Sandra admits there was no bomb he could have cried out "No bomb?" and slunk off in disappointment.
So do you have any characters you longed to see significantly on the MT show?

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Uncle Deadly
Sweatums
The Electric Mayhem instead of that lame jazz band....
Mildred I know she's in the intro of the show but she should have actully been in the show.
George & Beau we saw them both wich brought me much joy they should have been shown more though!
Hilda I would have loved to have seen her come back also...it's not that hard to do her voice lol
I was also really ticked off that the Jim Henson Hour Puppets had not been used since they were the last characters Jim personaly looked over....I'm still mad till this day that they get looked over it was such an amazing show..
guest muppet such as Sesame Street & Fraggle Rock

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure that everybody wanted The Electric Mayhem, Rowlf, and Scooter to be main characters, so besides them...

I think Robin should have been on the show. Maybe he could have been annoyed by Andy and Randy in the same way that Kermit would be annoyed by Miss Piggy (of course, Andy and Randy would have wanted to be Robin's best friends, not love interests). Jerry Nelson was active on this show, so why not?

Leon should have been on this show. Just becasue Kevin Clash performed the host doesn't mean that he isn't entitled to any other major characters (Jim Henson seemed to be able to perform all of his Muppet characters in every major production). I also think that leon would fit in with the main muppets better than clifford.

Digit should have had a big role backstage.

Note to whoever makes a newmuppet show: If you want a new band, have them do more than just back-up music. Sure, Jim Henson wasn't around anymore to perform Dr. Teeth, and Richard Hunt wasn't around to perform janice, but back then whenever the Electric Mayhem was used, the members were usually just background. The band on this show was also just background. They should have had their own music numbers, appeared backstage frequently, and interracted with other characters. I don't think this badn even had a name. Or maybe the Solid Foam badn could have been used again as the resident band. Sure, Clifford had his hosting duties, but with the exception of the solid foam drummer (who was performed by Fran Brill), the performers of all of the members were very activly involved on Muppets Tonight. As for the mayhem, Dr. Teeth and Lips were the only members not ever used on the show.

Beauregard, Lew Zeland, Crazy Harry, Bean Bunny, and Pops should have all appeared more frequently, and while obscure, I think that Louis kazagger and even Fleet Scribbler would have fit in perfectly on this show (sure, The Muppet Show writers disliked Fleet, but I don't think Muppets Tonight had any of the same writers as The Muppet Show had).

Finally, I think more monsters should have been used more frequently. Boppity, Gloat, Snake Frackle, Gorgon heap, and Luncheon Counter Monster would have been great.

:cry:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Finally, I think more monsters should have been used more frequently. Boppity, Gloat, Snake Frackle, Gorgon heap, and Luncheon Counter Monster would have been great.

:cry:
I think I would agree about that certainly. From the portions of MT that I've seen Carl appeared to be more or less the only significant monster cast member.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
I think I would agree about that certainly. From the portions of MT that I've seen Carl appeared to be more or less the only significant monster cast member.
Muppets Tonight also had another regular monster, Mulch, who was Dr. Phil van Neuter's assistant. Of course, Mulch originally appeared on The Muppet Show during the last season.

Doglion also appeared in three episodes, and Sweetums appeeared in the Paula Abdull episode. He even sang a line in a song. I'm not sure if he was performed by John Henson or another performer in that scene, though (did John Henson ever perform on Muppets Tonight?).

I beleive I've read about some of the classic monsters making an appearance, probably in the song There's an Awful Lot of Coffee in Brazille, but I can't remember which ones were there.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Yes I know that some other monsters made occasional appearances on MT but none of them had a major starring role like big mean Carl.
Mulch is a teeny bit debatable. I'd never personally thought of him as a monster rather as a deformed human character. Then again in his TMS appearance you could especially see that he was essentially a muppet image of Quasimodo the Hunchback of Notre Dame from Victor Hugo's classic novel.
And the Hunchback is commonly classified as a classic monster movie character along with Dracula, Frankenstein's Creature and the Mummy.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I also think that the Jugband should have been on Muppets Tonight. Since Jerry was usually the lead singer, and jerry nelson was active on the show, then they could have just had Jerry singing, and the rest of the band doing back-up vocals or just playing music. Or even if certain performers weren't there, the jugband members were occassionally performed by people other than their regular performers (Richard Hunt performed Gramps in he peter Sellers episode, Jerry Nelson performed Gramps in the Bob Hope episode, and I'm sure that Frank Oz was his regular performer). As far as replacements go, I think that Bill Barretta could perform either Zeke or Bubba and have the voices soun d close to being right.