Classic Cartoons Vs. Modern Cartoons

Drtooth

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
Well I can't say I like any of the new cartoons today, except Jusitce League. Majority of the cartoon shows from mid 90s all the way up today are bad to aweful. I think the writers and animaters just gave up creativity wise somewhee along the way.

I disagree for 2 reasons...

A) I don't like Justice league... they'd be fine in all seperate cartoons, but Batman is much too dark to hang around with those guys.

and B) I fell certain ones are very well done, but you's have to look at Cable to really see what I mean. Spongebob is good and I like it and all, but I bought a whole bunch of Fairly Oddparents DVD's.... they were hillarious, especially the Channel Chasers movie. Some, but not all, of Cartoon Network's original programming is pretty good. Codename Kids Next Door was hillarious, especially the Christmas special, with a dead on sendup of X-Men and Marvel comics prose. Space Ghost Coast to Coast far surpassed the lame 1960's cartoon. Until that came around, I hated the character. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is good too... but then again, all I know from that stuff is the few times I'm able to go to a friend with cable's house, or DVD's.
But crap like Bratz, Winx Club, Loonatics, Coconut Fred's Fruit salad Island (dirrevative bullcrap... why Nick never sued them, I'll never know)... it's trash, not worthy of me even hating.

But the problem with animation on TV is it's now limited to the scarce Saturday morning space (few networks bother with original programming opting for "educational" cable shows from Nick Jr., Disney, and Discovery kids), and full cable broadcasts.

You see, sometime about 1999, syndicated afternoon programming slowly phased out. Disney had a try with One Too, which was no 1990's Disney Afternoon line up, though Buzz Lightyear was a very well done series... but after 2002, that vanished. There's also the "Incredible" world of Dic, which had mixed programming like The Bearenstain Bears (80's version of course), and Inspector Gadget's feild Trip (note, all educational) with crap like Sabrina's secret life (worse than the awful 90's version). That too died out.

Problem is, firstly kids WB gulped up Pokemon, the last syndicated show to really make money, and others followed. Secondly, the syndication heads feel they can make MORE money with moronic "adult" programming like the three billion Judge shows and Maury "Please die already" Povich. Kid's WB's weekday line up (as lame as it was) is gone, replaced by "Daytime WB." I didn't mind ER reruns, but they're gone now. The Line up consists of 8 Simple Rules (quite possibly the worst sitcom of all time that was only on that long because they felt guilty John Ritter died making that crap) and "What I like about you.."

:boo: "What I like about you?"
:sleep: "Absolutely nothing! DWOAH hohohoooo!"

Since I don't have cable, it's a very long day without cartoons.