1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Classic Sesame shows removed from HBO

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by JonnyBMuppetMan, Jan 12, 2019.

1. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I was checking HBO Go and found that five of their "Sesame Street Classics" episodes are no longer listed. I don't see episodes #1576, #3136, #3171, #3502, and #3611 anywhere. I guess they took them off at the beginning of the year, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't just be renewed like the other shows. It's weird because I was just watching two of those shows a few weeks ago.

BertFan likes this.
  2. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I guess maybe it could be due to low ratings of the classic episodes, or just refuse to renew them.

BertFan likes this.
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Did you check to see if maybe they added additional classic episodes as replacements?

4. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Well-Known Member

They weren't replaced at all, although the fan/optimist in me wants to think there could be other plans for release (but maybe not).

5. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Could be just that the rights simply expired and that it wasn’t renewed.

6. BertFan

BertFan Well-Known Member

That might be wrong. they might add new classic episodes in the future

7. MikaelaMuppet

Ah well. It was just a thought.

8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It does seem weird that, in regards to the episodes they can air, their rights for some episodes would expire while others wouldn't. Maybe certain clearances expired faster (which seems slightly less weird than what I'm thinking seems weird here), HBO probably paid for a certain number of classic reruns (and that wording doesn't sound right), but I'd think they would have the same rerun deal for all classic episodes on HBO.

Of course I've heard that RDF only has the rights to certain episodes of The Jimmy Dean Show due to clearance issues.

JonnyBMuppetMan likes this.
  9. ssetta

ssetta Well-Known Member

This is weird. And episode 1576 is actually scheduled to air on HBO Family on February 17.

10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a rights thing. They can air it still, but not stream it.

Wish I knew why all the Joe Raposo tracks were cut though. The deal seemed rather hasty so they might not have been able to negotiate in time.

11. MikaelaMuppet

That is weird, you're right.

12. BertFan

BertFan Well-Known Member

Pretty cool their airing a episode from the early 80's.But this episode can be watched on HBO Family and its on old school volume 3 so its not that special of a classic episode.:(