Cleaning figures

BEAR

Reaction score
I was just curious what is the best way to keep the figures clean. I have all my new figures still in their packages til I am ready to display, and I have the Fozzie that I have had for a while waiting on the shelf for his pals to join him, but he has gotten kinda dirty and I wanted to clean him up a bit. Also, do the figures ever fade? Thanks.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
If a figure is dusty, I recommened taking it away from the others and holding it firmly while using compressed air that you would use to clean your computer keyboard. If the figure is REALLY dirty and needs desperate cleaning because he fell in a bowl of brownie mix whilst keeping you company as you bake, warm soapy water and q-tips are a safe way to go. The figures shouldn't fade as long as you keep them well and don't play outside in your back yard, burying them, playing hockey with them or any other types of dangerous friction. Licking the figures on a regular basis may also lead to fading, lead poisoning and being considered extremely spooky and weird. :smile:

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
To think I was just going to say "dicht them wi' a cloot"...

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
If a figure is dusty, I recommened taking it away from the others and holding it firmly while using compressed air that you would use to clean your computer keyboard. If the figure is REALLY dirty and needs desperate cleaning because he fell in a bowl of brownie mix whilst keeping you company as you bake, warm soapy water and q-tips are a safe way to go. The figures shouldn't fade as long as you keep them well and don't play outside in your back yard, burying them, playing hockey with them or any other types of dangerous friction. Licking the figures on a regular basis may also lead to fading, lead poisoning and being considered extremely spooky and weird. :smile:
Thanks, Vic. By the way, you are one of my favs. :wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... When it comes time to cleaning up the shelves I display my figures on...
Just get a washcloth, moisten one of its ends under the tap and get ready to wash away the dust on the shelves. Course, I take all the figures and accessories off of the shelves first and try to be careful when handling them afterwards. Once the shelves washed, I take the cloth or a second one and dry it off. Then its the figures' turn. Try to do it carefully so as not to break anything, you rully need TLC when handling the smaller things like Johnny's picture frame or Van Neuter's tripod. After everything's clean I usually start repositioning them in the overall display on the various shelves calling out their names as if they're expected on stage till the thing's done.

Hope this helps and have a good weekend.

BEAR

Reaction score
The Count said:
Well... When it comes time to cleaning up the shelves I display my figures on...
Just get a washcloth, moisten one of its ends under the tap and get ready to wash away the dust on the shelves. Course, I take all the figures and accessories off of the shelves first and try to be careful when handling them afterwards. Once the shelves washed, I take the cloth or a second one and dry it off. Then its the figures' turn. Try to do it carefully so as not to break anything, you rully need TLC when handling the smaller things like Johnny's picture frame or Van Neuter's tripod. After everything's clean I usually start repositioning them in the overall display on the various shelves calling out their names as if they're expected on stage till the thing's done.

Hope this helps and have a good weekend.
You're funny, Count. Actually that helps a lot. I just didn't know if there was any specific cleaner or method of cleaning the figures that was recommended. I appreciate it very much and I enjoyed hearing about how you call each of the characters up. Actually sounds like something I would do with my Sesame Street guys. Also, Count, I thought you would be interested to know (incase I have not told you yet) that i am offically a Collectors Club member. I got my kit in the mail a few days ago. I got the Gonzo one. It will go wonderfully with the Fozzie I already have had and the standard Kermit which arrived about a week ago. I have my Super Grover now waiting for his next 4 friends from the Street to join him. I will for the most part probably keep the SS figures and the Muppets fairly separated, except occassionally Kermit will be seen on "the Street" as usual. To top it all off, the Jim Henson figure also arrived a couple days ago and he looks so cool. For now, I am keeping these new figures in their packages atleast until the Sesame Street S1 arrives.
I am not planning to collect any more of the regular Muppet characters because my main focus as you know is SS. However, Pops is looking pretty tempting to me. He is probably my favorite secondary Muppet besides Sam and he is also one **** of a cool looking figure!
Anyway...this will be a fun new collection. It will go nicely with my Sesame Street beanie babies. I have all 24 of them.
Take Care, Count. Your help and advise is always accepted and appreciated by Bear!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear Bear. Posted in the thread you started about joining the club and we welcome you amongst our ranks. Though Crazy Harry (Chirs) might want to carry out some strange initiation ritual.

Anyway, glad you got your figures. If keeping them MOC/MIB, a bit of dusting is all that's required to keep 'em clean. And it doesn't hurt to keep them somewhere they'll be cool and airy or close to a ventilated opening like windows.
Got my figures on a double shelving unit. The figures, the majority of them are on the left side though some shelves on the right are taken up also. The right side will be for the Street. And all our SG's are waiting the release and arrival of his four friends from S1. You might wanna search for a Reporter/Koozbane Kermit to recreate the SS News Flash segments, but the S1 Kermit's best for just hangin' out with the rest of the crowd.

And collect that which you wanna collect. If you just want Pops and/or Sam, that's fine. If you wanna go all out and have a "complete" collection to your own varying degree of completion, that's OK too.
Just have fun. These guys will keep gettin' my moneys though hokay?

And I got a neat photo op planned, but that'll have to wait should we get all the Muppet letters. And the street diaramas too.
For now, the overall display's lookin' good. Will end up changing it to accomodate the S10 integrants and leave a bit of room for probable future customs.

Have a great weekend Bear.

BEAR

Reaction score
The Count said:
Good to hear Bear. Posted in the thread you started about joining the club and we welcome you amongst our ranks. Though Crazy Harry (Chirs) might want to carry out some strange initiation ritual.

Anyway, glad you got your figures. If keeping them MOC/MIB, a bit of dusting is all that's required to keep 'em clean. And it doesn't hurt to keep them somewhere they'll be cool and airy or close to a ventilated opening like windows.
Got my figures on a double shelving unit. The figures, the majority of them are on the left side though some shelves on the right are taken up also. The right side will be for the Street. And all our SG's are waiting the release and arrival of his four friends from S1. You might wanna search for a Reporter/Koozbane Kermit to recreate the SS News Flash segments, but the S1 Kermit's best for just hangin' out with the rest of the crowd.

And collect that which you wanna collect. If you just want Pops and/or Sam, that's fine. If you wanna go all out and have a "complete" collection to your own varying degree of completion, that's OK too.
Just have fun. These guys will keep gettin' my moneys though hokay?

And I got a neat photo op planned, but that'll have to wait should we get all the Muppet letters. And the street diaramas too.
For now, the overall display's lookin' good. Will end up changing it to accomodate the S10 integrants and leave a bit of room for probable future customs.

Have a great weekend Bear.
What's your photo plan regarding the letters?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Since we're friends...
There's an episode of Sesame Street, the 4th season premiere from what I gathered regarding talk about it here on the boards... Where the human and Muppet cast introduce themselves according to the letter with which their name starts. A kid named Alterrain for A, Bob for B, Cookie Monster for C, and so on.
What I thought would be neat is a recreation of that, but with the figure cast propped up all along the entire street diarama with the Muppet letter their name starts with.
From left to right, think of it stretching from the Fix-It-Shop to Big Bird's nest area anda little beyond.
Animal with the A. Bert and/or Beaker with the B. Cookie Monster (if he were to get made) with the C. Dr. Teeth with the D. Ernie with the E.
Floyd Pepper and/or Fozzie Bear with the F. Gonzo and/or Grover (should he be made) with the G. Herry Monster (should he be made) with the H. Irving Bizarre (should my customizer get to that one) with the I. Janice with the J.
Kermit with the K. Lips with the L, and maybe Little Bird if it should get made. Miss Piggy, the Martians or Mumford (should he get made) with the M. (Though I have him listed in the A's under "The Amazing Mumford".) The Newsman with the N. Oscar in his trashcan with the O.
Prairie Dawn (should she get made) with the P. The Q's alone for the time being. Roosevelt Franklin with the R. Statler and/or Slimey with the S. Telly Monster (should he be made) with the T.
Uncle Deadly with the U. The Count "von" Count with the V. Waldorf with the W. The X's alone for the time being. Not sure if either the Q or X would go with Sherlock Hemlock should he be made. Yorich (The Muppet Skull coming with UD) on top of the Y. And Zoot with the Z.

Hope that helps.