Closed Captioning on home videotapes?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
This IS related to the muppets, I swear. :wink:

I found an old tape (late 80's? early 90's?) of the CBC block of children's programming off of the television. It has Canadian Sesame Street on it (and also Mr. Dressup! yay!) and so I thought I would try and watch it. But when I press play, the closed captions took up almost the whole screen. :/

I knew nothing about closed captions until about half an hour ago, thanks to Google and Wikipedia. The ones I am seeing are "roll-on" captions, that just keep scrolling up the screen. There are alot of typos, it's kind of funny. I'm guessing it was done live? The content of the captions is the CBC's upcoming schedule of closed-captioned programs (it's not even the programs I taped! Just a schedule).

So, I was sitting there, reading what time The Raccoons, Newhart, Dallas, Golden Girls, and Danger Bay would be on, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me WHY the captions were showing up, and WHY they WEREN'T when I fast forwarded or rewound the tape. I thought they were flat on top of the image, but thanks to Google I've discovered that that is called "open captioning" and obviously not what I have going on. Apparently, the captions are broadcast in a certain vertical line of the picture, so I guess it make sense why they don't show up when you are fast-forwarding, and why they would exist on the videotape. When it's in play mode, the data from the tv in the image is telling them to show up.

But the problem is, I don't want them to! :frown: I just want to watch my tape...

Does ANYONE know ANYTHING about this? My VCR has no settings for closed captions, I checked as best I could. Is there something on the cassette I should check? If I copied it to a computer would I still have this problem (not that I know how to do that, but still)?

Java

Reaction score
Sometimes the settings on the tv are turned on and you don't realize. Try to check your tv menu to see if turing off the abliity for captions there will keep them from scrolling on the screen for you.