Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs...the movie!

beaker

Reaction score
Holy canole, one of my favorite children's books of all time(next to Grover and the whole wide world book) Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs is getting turned into an animated feature film from Sony!

"The children's book CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS is also in development at Sony Animation. Wayne Rice (SUICIDE KINGS) will write the screenplay, based on Judi Barrett and Ron Barrett's book. The film will be directed by brothers Paul and Gaetan Brizzi, who supervised the Firebird sequence in FANTASIA 2000. The story is about a magical land where food falls from the sky. "

(excerpted from: http://cinescape.com/0/editorial.as...tion=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=38575 )

So whil eI am on the fence about the Garfield movie(with it was all animated or all cgi) I'm glad thsi will be all animated. Anyone heard of any news/rumors about other "did I just read this correctly" kids books or cartoons to big screen treatments?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
I loved this book. Mostly because I was, as a kid, obsessed with any book that so much as mentioned food. So you can tell I "ate it up", so to speak.

But a movie? I dunno, would people see it? The book itself seemed a little too weird to be accessible...:wink:

Anyway, glad it's gonna be a cartoon, because a live-action movie would suck...it's going to be fun to see animated hamburger showers and maple syrup storms on the big screen...:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
I loved this book. Mostly because I was, as a kid, obsessed with any book that so much as mentioned food. So you can tell I "ate it up", so to speak.

But a movie? I dunno, would people see it? The book itself seemed a little too weird to be accessible...:wink:
Heh, I guess I was just a weird kid back then...err, though I'm not sure if much has changed:wink:

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to feel about this right now. It's a cool book, but I can't see it as a full length movie.

Joe

Reaction score
Woo Hoo!!! I can't wait!

they're also doing a movie of the book "Half Magic" it was written in the 50's I think, it's about some kids who find a magic coin that grants wishes, but only half-way. was one of my(many) favourite books as a kid.

there's also gonna be a Lemony Snickett(sp?) movie, and there's an Artemis Fowl(excellent book, btw) movie in the works as well.

hmm.. someone should do Bob Fulton's Amazing Soda Pop Stretcher (think that's what it was called) it's from waaaaay before my time actually, but it was one of my favourite books, that and a book about a kid who drove around with his uncle in a pickle mobile going to different chicken restaurants to get his placemat stamped, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe
they're also doing a movie of the book "Half Magic" it was written in the 50's I think, it's about some kids who find a magic coin that grants wishes, but only half-way. was one of my(many) favourite books as a kid.

Wow. There was a whole series of Edward Eager's "Magic" books, although like you, I loved Half Magic the most. That should really be interesting. I hope they don't screw it up.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
First Shrek, now this. :rolleyes: They're running out of ideas, I tell ya.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe
That is great news! I love "Half Magic"!!:excited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Crazy Harry
I'm not sure how to feel about this right now. It's a cool book, but I can't see it as a full length movie.
I could obviously see a Westworld sort of disaster in it (only it's with Nature), but making movies out of Kid's books is pretty hit or miss.

I liked what they did with Jumanji (making it a disaster, and it's exciting) unlike the book when it was, they roll the dice and monkeys come out.

But then again, we have the Grinch and the Cat in the Hat where they screw things up!

I'll have my eye on this production...

(WIsh I put the Mighty Mouse/ Hong Kong Phooey movie news in a seperate thread!)