College student question

Whatever

Reaction score
I have a question that's been bothering me for a while, so since thare are several college students on here, I wondered if someone knew the answer. I have several very good friends whom I have lost track of. I do not know their home address, e-mail or college address, but I know what college they are attending. If I send a letter to them care of the college, will they get it? For example, Jane Doe c/o Brown University and Brown's full address? Thanks for any input!

jediX

Reaction score
I thought you had to include the dorm they are living in. :confused:

Beebers

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I have a question that's been bothering me for a while, so since thare are several college students on here, I wondered if someone knew the answer. I have several very good friends whom I have lost track of. I do not know their home address, e-mail or college address, but I know what college they are attending. If I send a letter to them care of the college, will they get it? For example, Jane Doe c/o Brown University and Brown's full address? Thanks for any input!
You can take your chances and send a letter to them on-campus without knowing dorm or apartment information. A better idea is to first go to each college's website. Look for their Development and/or Advancement and/or Alumni office e-mails and phones. These are all euphemisms for fund-raising functions; however, within that they also track all students current and past and are the proper go-to sources for this type of information. In particular, all Alumni offices are willing to send you to the right area for contacting current students. Obviously, if you are looking for someone who has graduated, the Alumni office itself will assist you. Admissions is another great source for current-student contact information, depending on their confidentiality/privacy policies, which you can only determine by phoning them. This all applies to private secondary schools as well. Employ all these resources, and you'll find your friends.

Whatever

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that. I realized yesterday just how much I missed them when I nearly lost the hairband that was my only physical link to a Georgetown student- made me nearly sick. But my stress level was way up there to start with anyway.

Whatever

Reaction score
FABULOUS! The Brown University website has a search thing, so I actually already got the e-mail address of my friend who goes there! I luckily remembered her real first name, not the one she goes by. I hope she writes back soon! I sent off asking for info for two other friends. I wish I knew more info on the colleges of other ffriends, but obviously "an art college in VA" won't cut it. Sigh. But at least I already found one! Yay! Thanks so much!

Beebers

Reaction score
Whatever said:
FABULOUS! The Brown University website has a search thing, so I actually already got the e-mail address of my friend who goes there! I luckily remembered her real first name, not the one she goes by. I hope she writes back soon! I sent off asking for info for two other friends. I wish I knew more info on the colleges of other ffriends, but obviously "an art college in VA" won't cut it. Sigh. But at least I already found one! Yay! Thanks so much!
De nada. (Eet eez nothing.) I've worked inside zee educational system in serious capacities one way or another all my life. Just not since I got hurt, 3 years or so.

"An art college in VA" very likely will cut it. Go to Google, in the window just type Art Colleges Virginia just as I've typed it here, nothing else. Google will give you the list, you can then visit the sites and probably find your people, it's easy. Or, Kangaroo Kolleges Kalamazoo. Whatever the thing and location is.
Some schools have tighter privacy policies than others, a phone call to the right office may be necessary in some cases.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
In the Penn State system, you just type the person's name in and it brings up their contact information. Not real high security there...
Erin

Beebers

Reaction score
I know. Policies were always pretty loose but then after 9/11 many schools decided that totally free Internet access didn't look like such a hot idea. It's a different world now. Any terrorist could read my post and use that for all kinds of nefarious things. But too, they know everything already. How to get in anywhere, in any way, better than we do. So, ease of access in schools varies widely. Interestingly, it can be much harder to squeeze information, of any type, out of many public high schools. Public institutions worry more about weird accesses than private ones do, but they should all worry about it.