Coloring Latex

Iokitek

Reaction score
I know most of you deal with foam instead of latex. But I thought I'd ask anyway. I've been experimenting with latex to make sure that when I make a mold that I won't make any mistakes.

I want to put some color into it if that's possible. But I'm not using professional latex. I use regular latex sold at the arts and crafts store. I was wondering if any of you know how to colorize it. Now it's just white. Do you think it's ok to mix it with latex paint? (my theory is that if it's both latex it should mix well) Or should I go look for powders or something? I really don't have a clue.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
u can use almsot anything to tint latex, arcilc paints will work , so does universal paint tints, food coloring, or you can buy the more expensive latex tints from a proffesianl makeup supplier

Iokitek

Reaction score
That's all the info I needed :smile: Thanks alot!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
one quick thought, while you can paint on dried latex, it doesnt realy work well unless u are using the roper paints,

a easy way to make a fleible paint for latex is to use RUBBER CEMENT, that u thin out with RUBBER CEMENT THINNER, add your tinit to it, and paint on top of the latex piece, itrs not perfect but it alows for the paint to remain flexible, while u use the pice,

before u paint the piece u should rub it down with NAPTHA, a industrial solvent, that will open thw pores in the latex and help it absorb the paint better

another way is to order SKIN FLEX from BJB they are a proffesinal supplier of latex and theatrical supplieis, , they also sell tints,

Iokitek

Reaction score
Thanks again :smile: Im already looking for a professional supplier. But in the mean time I still have some food coloring and acrylic paint I could test. Right now I'm kinda broke but perhaps next month I can order something.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Puppets ofcourse :stick_out_tongue: No but seriously. I'm trying to go for a realistic style. See how close I can come to making it look like a real human being. Eventually I would want to be able to use them for dramatic scenes instead of comical scenes wich puppets are mostly used for. I'll see what becomes of it all as I go along. :smile: I'll let you all know once I finished something.