Columbia needs to bring A Christmas Toy to the US

Rugby

Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder to Columbia Pictures for them to get crackin' on bringing us A Christmas Toy to region 1 DVD by this Christmas. Now is the time to be working on it. Let's go, folks!

Maybe it wouldn't hurt if you put it on a DVD together with an UNEDITED version of Muppet Family Christmas. Come on. Let's give up the petty squabble on the rights to this and that, come to an agreement and give the fans what they want. Who's with me?

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I'm wondering, say, If Disney would help back up Henson soon and have Disney release the videos. maybe Disney could help buy the rights for all the edits? This is just a thought, and the likeyhood of this happing...I have no idea! :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
You're assuming that's it's nothing more than a matter of cost. Some music rights are unavailable at *any* price right now. For example, Apple Music Corp. will not license the use of any original Beatles recordings for home video use. It's not a question of them being expensive: the recordings are unavailable, period.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
anathema said:
You're assuming that's it's nothing more than a matter of cost. Some music rights are unavailable at *any* price right now. For example, Apple Music Corp. will not license the use of any for home video use. It's not a question of them being expensive: the recordings are unavailable, period.

I'm assuming that i have no asumpuation on assuming the mater and shot out an idea. :smile:

I'm sure there could be some unexplainable giant nugget of gold buried deep with in the core of earth that would suffice anything! :excited: There is the fact that edits are not in the UK (minus a the part with Emily Bear and Fozzie about stocking)...But I don't think that was cut because The fact that Emily Bear and Fozzie Bear are talking about stocking is unavailable. But in the UK they have Fozzie and the Snowman singing, the whole Muppet Babies home movie and Miss Piggy's entrance which are the three most noticeable big cuts.

Also the fact that these Christmas songs have been released in millions of other things, not like an original Beatles recordings in which it's "originally" their's.

anathema

Reaction score
That was just an example of a current rights issue. There are many different types of rights when it comes to creative works. There is nothing to stop you recording your own cover version of a song; it's polite to ask permission, but the author of the original can't actually stop you. What they *can* stop you from doing is exploiting it. Despite the fact that the music and vocals were recorded specially for MFC, you'd still need clearance from the composer/lyricist or whoever holds the relevant rights. Broadcast is a different issue, which is why the (almost) uncut version can still be aired. And rights vary from country to country, which is why those scenes have never been cut from the UK releases.

The 'stocking scene' was most likely removed during a re-edit for broadcast in order to get more commercials into the timeslot. This version apparently then became the 'official' version, and the original hasn't been shown since. The other cuts are all music-rights-related.

rexcrk

Reaction score
:boo: I hate that there are copyrights to so many things. I mean, I can understand why they're needed, but I just want the un-edited version of Muppet Family Christmas on DVD :sympathy:

Rugby

Reaction score
It seems ridiculous, doesn't it? I thought at some point, some intellectual properties become public domain after a certain period of time?

anathema

Reaction score
Rugby said:
It seems ridiculous, doesn't it? I thought at some point, some intellectual properties become public domain after a certain period of time?
Sure. Copyright lapses a certain number of years after the author's death. It used to be less than 20 years. Currently it's somewhere between 70-90. And every few years, Hollywood or the music industry pays Congress to have another 20 years or so stuck on the term...

Rugby

Reaction score
Bump. Can't let the A Christmas Toy DVD movement die! Everyone chant, "Region 1! Region 1! Region 1! Region 1!"

:smile: