Columbia Tri-Star has Fraggle Rock on DVD, rumor or not?

WemblinKate

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has found this and is really curious as to what it means? I was wandering through my old Fraggle Favorite Sites and at the Unofficial Fraggle Rock website there was recent news of Fraggle DVD that I yet to hear from any of my reliable sources, like here and the Fraggle DVD petition and the Henson website. Low and behold, there it was.

Columbia Tri-Star DVD Release Schedule for January from DVD Debate Website.
January 26: Buffalo 66, The Code (a.k.a. La Mentale), Stella Street, Fraggle Rock, Muppet Show, The Best of Vol 3, Dark Crystal - Collector's Edition

Now I don't know if they just got mixed up or if they are completely off base, I was just seeking some insight from those of you who know a lot more about this sort of stuff than I do. And I felt someone should mention it because it's such a big deal. I know that I'm not the only one who's been waiting anxiously for any news of Fraggles on DVD. I know how important it is to us devoted Fraggle and Muppet fans.

If you really want to see for yourself here's the link http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php?sid=3607&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

So, what are your thoughts? Insights? Opinions? Ideas? Complaints? Do you know something I don't? Please tell me. I really want to know, is it true what they say? Is it true?

Now that I've broken out into song it is time to get off the soap box and let you all gasp, take in the info I've just provided, and then respond. Go.

-Wemblin' Kate

Stulz

Reaction score
Region 2

WemblinKate said:
there it was.
Columbia Tri-Star DVD Release Schedule for January from DVD Debate Website.
January 26: Buffalo 66, The Code (a.k.a. La Mentale), Stella Street, Fraggle Rock, Muppet Show, The Best of Vol 3, Dark Crystal - Collector's Edition
You're aren't seeing things but the information is a bit misleading.. it's being relasesd in Region 2. France. Not USA Region 1.
:boo:

There are already a few threads going about this topic.

Luke

Reaction score
You are correct it's Region 2 but it covers the whole of Europe, not just France. However, while the disc was rumored it has been taken off the current release schedule.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Stulz said:
You're aren't seeing things but the information is a bit misleading.. it's being relasesd in Region 2. France. Not USA Region 1.
:boo:

:boo: indeed!!! What kind of sick pervert had to go and make all these regions? I mean, one region is plenty, and that way they could release only one sort of video or anything...

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
:boo: indeed!!! What kind of sick pervert had to go and make all these regions? I mean, one region is plenty, and that way they could release only one sort of video or anything...
That's the companys that make the movies that made it all up. So that it should be impossible to buy a DVD that was not intended for a certain market. For instance when a US movie premiers in Europe it's already out on DVD in the US.

But fortunely it don't work as they have planed :big_grin:

anathema

Reaction score
Region coding exists for a number of reasons, one of which is that it gives the studios a legal crutch to enforce the rather lame encryption used on most commercial DVDs. But the main reason is simply that the majority of Hollywood films do not get a simultaneous world-wide release, and a theatrical distributor in (say) the UK does not want to be competing for sales against the local DVD store. By tying the US DVD release to the US, the theory goes that the UK cinemas can make some money.

It also helps to avoid customer confusion over the different video standards used around the world. Most - if not all - European players will handle US discs, but the opposite is not true. Since most US players will also not play R2 discs, this isn't a problem.

Region coding was never intended to be a serious restriction - it's only a single byte of data on the disc.

Whatever

Reaction score
I though the coding was because of the different electricity whatchacallits. Like how you need an adapter to make american appliances work in europe, but it doesn't work with clocks.

Luke

Reaction score
From what I gather the Fraggle Rock R2 DVD has been indefinitely delayed. Muppet Show Vol 3 is still on course.