Comcast makes $54 billion hostile bid to buy Disney

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The Disney Board was expected to reject Comcast's initial offer, which was about $3.60 less per share than Disney is currently worth. Comcast will now attempt to launch a hostile takeover and convince shareholders to sell to them against the board's recommendations.

There was a similar nasty takeover attempt in the early 80s which eventually led to the Eisner era and Disney's comeback.

This will be a long brutal fight.

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
Muppets and Disney....????

:smile: Well, at least Comcast didn't get them! I just got home and checked my e-mail. A friend of mine has been keeping close tabs on the whole Muppet dealings and sent me 3 links to stories. I did copy the following from one story because it put my mind at ease over how some of the Henson creations will be handled. I'm sorry, I don't remember which article this was from, but it is a direct quote:

"The deal includes a four-year consulting arrangement with the Jim Henson Co. to provide strategic advice on the use of the characters and a three-year production deal to develop movies, television shows and other projects using the characters.
The Jim Henson Co. will retain its "Creature Shop," which builds the puppet characters, as well as the rights to its film and television library, including "Fraggle Rock" and "Farscape," among others."

So now I do feel better that maybe JH's vision will be kept in tact. Here are the rest of the links:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4294243/

http://news.google.com/news?q=disney+muppets

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/7980689.htm

:confused: So how does everyone else feel? I mean I'm still nervous, but in the last aritcle, I read that the Henson's liked how the images of Mickey and Mini had been treated over the years and they feel that their characters will be treated with the same respect. Only time will tell, huh? :smirk:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this site? It's not related to the Comcast offer, but was set up by Disney shareholders Roy Disney and Stanley Gold to protest against Eisner.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Did anybody catch the interview with Michael Eisner on Larry King tonight? I saw most of it. It was interesting. He seems pretty confident that he'll remain CEO, of course, but didn't really say anything new. One thing I was curious about: Does anyone know anything about a big Winnie-the-Pooh lawsuit? It was mentioned briefly, and I'd never heard anything about it. :confused:
Erin

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Did anybody catch the interview with Michael Eisner on Larry King tonight? I saw most of it. It was interesting. He seems pretty confident that he'll remain CEO, of course, but didn't really say anything new. One thing I was curious about: Does anyone know anything about a big Winnie-the-Pooh lawsuit? It was mentioned briefly, and I'd never heard anything about it. :confused:
Erin
I don't recall all the details but there has been a nasty lawsuit going on for YEARS between the family of Stephen Slesinger and Disney over royalties for Winnie the Pooh characters. Apparently, Slesinger claims Disney has cheated him out of millions after he bought merchandising rights for the Pooh characters in the 1930s.

Here's a little more...
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040122/1/3hfrs.html

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Thank god....

All I can say is THANK the Lord man!!! :excited: I was NEVER happy abut hearing that news either. I mean come on.... Disney & Comcast? Heck no! But I'm glad Disney didn't take the offer.

DisneyNut

Reaction score
Comcast buying Disney would mean the end of Disney as we know it. It would be my guess that the parks would be sold off within a year and the movies would slip considerably. The only good thing that could come out of it is the oust of Eisner, but he'll be out regardless of what Comcast does. I think, if push comes to shove, Disney should just sell ESPN, ABC, and the Family channel to comcast and offer a deal where they can have first dibs for airing Disney movies. That's what comcast is after anyway.
:boo:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Eh, if I were Disney, I'd keep ESPN. Next to the Disney brand, that's their crown jewel.