Competition: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn

beaker

Reaction score
Other than reluctant boyfriends or dads being dragged in, I wonder if any guy has willingly gone to one of the twilight movies? I can't even begin to see the appeal of those movies.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I'm FAR more worried about Happy Feet 2 and Ar-Turd Crapsmas...
That's pretty harsh... Aardman is a GREAT company. One of the few film studios, like Pixar, who continue to produce consistent, quality work.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's pretty harsh... Aardman is a GREAT company. One of the few film studios, like Pixar, who continue to produce consistent, quality work.

It's Aardman/Sony. Sony is notorious for bad CGI kids movies... what does it say when their master work is Smurfs (or to SOME people, Cloudy with a Chance of screw up the story line and do something else that's not original in any context). I wouldn't complain half as much if I didn't think it could relate to stiff Muppet competition. Happy Feet at least comes out the Friday before, Arthur comes out the same day as our fine felt and foam friends here. A LOT is riding on this movie... I'd hate for Disney to toss everything Muppet into the vault next to Bonkers and the Duck family members only Europe knows about if this film fails to perform because of a lame Christmas movie. Especially one with a substandard, unoriginal plot. And the animation looks VERY ugly.

Now, I LOVE Wallace and Grommit, and even some of Aardman's ventures past clay to CGI (Flushed Away is highly underrated), but this one looks to be their artistic sell out to a big name company.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i have faith Arthurs christmas wont do as well thanks to the muppets...i have a theory withen the next few weeks they will change that release date if they are smart enough not to be buried by well loved felt freinds

Drtooth

Reaction score
i have faith Arthurs christmas wont do as well thanks to the muppets...i have a theory withen the next few weeks they will change that release date if they are smart enough not to be buried by well loved felt freinds
Nah... it's already set in stone for that one. I thought that maybe they'd change it around and make it closer to Christmas, but naahhh. Hopefully people got sick of BAD Christmas movies by now.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
It's Aardman/Sony. Sony is notorious for bad CGI kids movies... what does it say when their master work is Smurfs (or to SOME people, Cloudy with a Chance of screw up the story line and do something else that's not original in any context). I wouldn't complain half as much if I didn't think it could relate to stiff Muppet competition. Happy Feet at least comes out the Friday before, Arthur comes out the same day as our fine felt and foam friends here. A LOT is riding on this movie... I'd hate for Disney to toss everything Muppet into the vault next to Bonkers and the Duck family members only Europe knows about if this film fails to perform because of a lame Christmas movie. Especially one with a substandard, unoriginal plot. And the animation looks VERY ugly.

Now, I LOVE Wallace and Grommit, and even some of Aardman's ventures past clay to CGI (Flushed Away is highly underrated), but this one looks to be their artistic sell out to a big name company.
I guess we've just got a difference of opinion - I happened to think Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was one of the most charming movies to come out that year. g to be what you expect, and I've never found any magic in the expected. As for Aardman/Sony's previous effort, Flushed Away, I did think it was minor work for them, but since when does everything have to be a homerun? I think if you enjoy it, it's good enough. Meanwhile, I don't think you need worry about Arthur Christmas taking any tickets away from The Muppets. One of the two has received heavy advertising and promotion, one of them has not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess we've just got a difference of opinion - I happened to think Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was one of the most charming movies to come out that year. g to be what you expect, and I've never found any magic in the expected. As for Aardman/Sony's previous effort, Flushed Away, I did think it was minor work for them, but since when does everything have to be a homerun? I think if you enjoy it, it's good enough. Meanwhile, I don't think you need worry about Arthur Christmas taking any tickets away from The Muppets. One of the two has received heavy advertising and promotion, one of them has not.
I don't want to list all the reasons I hate Cloudy, but I'm VERY close to the book. it's one of my all time favorites. But they explain something unexplained that didn't need explanation. And in the most banal way possible. Plus, I like my scientists MAD... I LOVE Igor, Megamind, and Despicable Me... Mad Scientists are one of my favorite character tropes. If I studied Science as a career, I'd be the most real life equivalent of a Mad scientist possible. But well meaning scientists that never felt like they had their fathers approval? No thanks.

On the other hand, I love what they did with the Mr. Men show... but they didn't change things other than the fact there were no wizards, no morals to tales, and a couple characters' genders and they lived all together in a single town. But that's something else completely.

As for Flushed Away, that was one of the 3 movies planned under a Dreamworks/Aardman partnership. Of course, only 2 were even made (the other being the stop motion full length Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the WereRabbit)... a third one was to be written by John Cleese... Dreamworks is still going to make that film, but with massive changes to the script. Flushed Away was great for those who love British humor... especially the British portrayal of the French (they're nastier to the French than we'll ever be) and Americans (annoying tourist couple...heheheh). Plus, they managed to translate their classic Banana mouth look to CGI. Arthur just looks like everything else.

I know I shouldn't worry, but if history has taught me anything it's that people like to watch Family Christmas movies that come out during Christmas. That's why the first Chipmunks movie was a surprise hit... that song. Also Elf (which I don't get at all)... but in recent years, that's taken a turn. That hideous mo-cap Christmas Carol I mentioned before didn't perform that well despite HEAVY promotion (Jim Carrey was better in the 90's anyway)... and there was something else that didn't do too well. Hopefully the Muppets will stand out, and those seeking Christmas cheer will just watch Rudolph and Frosty.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Given that the newest Twilight movie is set to release November 29th.. Do you think that may affect THE MUPPETS performance in theatres??
It's not the same people who would see the Muppets would see Twilight, but Pixar originally pushed Monsters Inc. 2 originally becuase of Twilight Breaking Dawn part 2 before pushing it off till Summer of 2012

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I guess we've just got a difference of opinion - I happened to think Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was one of the most charming movies to come out that year.

Cloudy With A Chance of meatballs was probably the worst animated movie I ever saw it was so bad

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just saw a certain cat based movie today (bargain Tuesday matinee and all), and I came to the conclusion that this year's holiday competition is MUCH stronger than the Summer competition. At least that time frame, everything was released in a manner so virtually everything had one great week.

But there's like 5 kids movies coming out in a 2 week period at least. Now, I don't worry much about Hugo, a pretentious pseudo British whimsy fest by New York Italian director Martin Scorsesse... those usually never do well and just look like they're cashing in off of Harry Potter anyway. Even used the same font.

So I saw the Puss in Boots today, right? And the only trailer that didn't make me completely cringe and want to leave the theater immediately was Tintin. I can overlook the Mo-Cap (which looks better than Zermeckis's ever did) because I LOVE my Euro-comics, and it's nice to see a GOOD movie based off of one... at least it looks pretty good so far. I can't say anything about Happy Feet I haven't already said... but I finally figured out what bugs me about Arthur Christmas... from a plot point, it's a COMPLETE ripoff of Disney's Prep and Landing. The whole "AAAH! We left one present behind and now have to go on a wild goose chase to find where it belongs or one specific kid will lose their faith in Santa." BLEHHH! I lost all respect for Aardman for this one. And the character designs are terrible.