Cookie Monster to the Fruit Monster

tiggie0686

Reaction score
So I've heard rumors that Sesame Street has decided to change the Cookie Monster to the Fruit Monster because they feel that the Cookie Monster promotes unhealthy eating habits to kids and thus American children are obese (even though I think we should be blaming McDonald's and Burger King). Something along those lines.

I was just wondering, does anyone know if this is true? Or is it just a rumor? Because honestly, if they do change the Cookie Monster into the Fruit Monster, that'll ruin everything. Nobody wants to see a monster going crazy for fruit!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pretty Much the stupidest rumor I've heard of.

It's like changing Donald Duck to Danny Duck and making him kinder and less prone to temper tantrums, or changing Bugs bunny to Insect Rabbit, and making him a Buddhist monk!

He will ALWAYS be Cookie Monster, dispite the fact he does switch from fruits and vegitables from time to time... also suitcases, safes, plates, pictures, trucks...

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
He will ALWAYS be Cookie Monster, dispite the fact he does switch from fruits and vegitables from time to time... also suitcases, safes, plates, pictures, trucks...
Besides, isn't that rap song "Healthy Food" enough of a disclaimer that he doesn't eat just cookies? They should show that more often nowadays. Who cares if the Kangol and gold chains are outdated? :big_grin:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
tiggie0686 said:
So I've heard rumors that Sesame Street has decided to change the Cookie Monster to the Fruit Monster because they feel that the Cookie Monster promotes unhealthy eating habits to kids and thus American children are obese (even though I think we should be blaming McDonald's and Burger King). Something along those lines.
Dr. Tooth is right--that is a ridiculous rumor. Isn't the whole point of the character that kids identify with his love for cookies? I said it before (in response to the McDonald's/Nader thing) but Sesame Street, McDonald's, and any other fast food restaurant aren't responsible for what kids eat. That responsibility falls on the parents and guardians. It's really up to them to teach their children healthy lifestyles and provide them with nutritious meals.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
tiggie0686 said:
So I've heard rumors that Sesame Street has decided to change the Cookie Monster to the Fruit Monster
Actually they already got a monster like that.
Cookie Monster's Sister don't like cookies, she like to eat vegetables insteed.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh, MuppetDK, don't you mean Cookie Monster's Cousin Monster?

Gotta agree with Boober_Gorg on this one. Apparently, everyone's forgetten about the efforts back in the 90's to make Cookie Monster appreciate the values of a healthy balanced diet. There are three sketches/songs which went towards this point.

1 The sketch where María teaches or at least gets Cookie Monster to try some healthier foods like apples and raisins and carrot sticks, and then he ends up eating the plates themselves.
2 The rap song "Healthy Food" performed by Cookie Monster and a bunch of female food Muppets.
3 The classic song "Hey Food", as a spoof of the Beatles' "Hey Jude", sung by both Cookie Monster and Sesame Street's Beetles.
Everyone seems to think that Cookie Monster eats only cookies and spurns a healthy diet, when that just isn't the case. If you can find it on www.comedycentral.com's section for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, there's a report filed by Stephen Colbear about this same topic where he says the Cookie Monster is ruining kids diets. Of course, it's done with his general stupidity as the character he plays on the show, but it just goes to show you that even this topic can be blown waaaaaay out of proportion.
Sorry for the ranting ramble, hope this helps and have a haunted day.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
The Count said:
Uh, MuppetDK, don't you mean Cookie Monster's Cousin Monster?
ohh I see, she's his cousin. I thought it was his sister.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
The Count said:
1 The sketch where María teaches or at least gets Cookie Monster to try some healthier foods like apples and raisins and carrot sticks, and then he ends up eating the plates themselves.
2 The rap song "Healthy Food" performed by Cookie Monster and a bunch of female food Muppets.
3 The classic song "Hey Food", as a spoof of the Beatles' "Hey Jude", sung by both Cookie Monster and Sesame Street's Beetles.
I remember the first sketch. Loved that! I never saw the second or third, but I'm sure I'd get a kick out of "Hey Food," since I'm a big fan of "Hey Jude." Another great one is the one of The Best of Ernie, which has Ernie coming to Cookie Monster's house for breakfast. All Cookie wants is "a soft-boiled cookie with a glass of cookie juice on the side." Ernie goes to great lengths to enlighten him on the wide variety of food available for breakfast, and in the end Cookie Monster finally agrees to broaden his horizons, though not in the way Ernie intended. He tells Ernie, much to Ernie's dismay :eek: , "You eat egg, me eat frying pan!!!!!" :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To clear up a few points...

1 Don'tLiveinMoon, yeah the two songs are good ones. Got the "Hey Food" song on one of my SS music cassettes, just don't know which one fright now.
2 The breakfast with Ernie and Cookie Monster has always been one of my cherished forgotten favorites.
3 MuppetDK, there are two different characters of both Cookie Monster's Sister and Cousin Monster. Not completely sure of the difference myself, but...
a. Cookie Monster's Sister appears in the song "Me Got to Be Blue" as one of the first two other monsters who appear, also as blue as CM.
b. If you're thinking of one of the following two sketches, then that would be Cousin Monster.
1 Ernie comes home with the groceries, having bought a box of cookies for both monsters, thinking they'll both be satisfied with just that. Instead, Cousin Monster ends up eating all of his groceries.
2 Cookie Monster brings his Cousin Monster before a closet full of cookies and asks her to name something that starts with the letter C that he loves very much. She keeps guessing different foods starting with the letter, but not the sugary sweet, and ends up saying that the thing Cookie loves is his cousin. He has to reluctantly admit that yes, forgetting about the cookies.
Hope this helps and have a haunted day.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Besides. His name is Cookie Monster. Cookie is actually a name to some people. Like Sonny, Moonbeam... just out of the ordinary.