Cookie Monster's overdone saying...

Jessica

Reaction score
I'm new here, and I just want to say I just saw the old "Christmas Eve on Seseme Street" special just now on DVD, and I've noticed how Cookie Monster always uses the phase "What the hey?", as well as in "Elmo Saves Christmas". Couldn't this also express swear words since it could mean "What the H*ll?!"? Plus, the fact that Oscar asks how Santa delivers all the presents can encourage children to think the same themselves, later on making their lives miseriable because they don't know and even think he's real anymore. They also throw Oscar's trash can in the ice skating part. Couldn't that be considered as violence?

There's also some things I don't agree on. When Baby Bear's mother has a new baby, later called "Curly Bear", and Baby Bear asks, "Does Papa Bear know about this?", it makes us to think that she would be cheating on her husband. What is the world coming to? Aren't children not supposed to know about the birds and the bees yet?

zrs70

Reaction score
Jessica,

The brilliance of SS is that it speaks on two levels. It is meant to be watchable by adults who are in the room. A little child most likely won't understand the inuendos (sp?). But you will!

I must say, however, that SS used to be much better at this. I find now that the shows talk down a lot more than they used to.

Jessica

Reaction score
I agree, I think they're trying to hard with what they do at best, or at least was best. What's up with the lady that plays Gina? She looks sicker on every season now.

Censored

Reaction score
Interesting observations, although I can't say I agree with them. I always thought words like, "hey, heck, and darn" were supposed to be wholesome substitutes that prevented swear words from being said in the first place. The issue of how Santa gets down the chimney was a delicate and tactful way of raising the whole issue about children's faith in him. I wouldn't call Oscar's trash can being thrown as "violence" because they didn't do it on purpose. It was also total slapstick since he was completely unhurt.

I don't really watch modern Sesame Street, so I can't comment too much, but Baby Bear's question seemed innocent enough. He just didn't understand.

I do imagine that the shows today are pretty sad. I can't bring myself to watch them; it would be like self-flagellation. I hope the actress who plays Gina is okay; your description of her brought to mind the disturbing fate of Northern Calloway (David).

Happy Holidays

Jessica

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I hope the actress who plays Gina is okay; your description of her brought to mind the disturbing fate of Northern Calloway (David).
Yeah. She's getting too skinny, and we don't want to lose another actress! If Mr. Hooper had died in the 80's, why did they bring another one in 2000? After mourning over the other one? That doesn't make much sense.

Censored

Reaction score
Jessica said:
If Mr. Hooper had died in the 80's, why did they bring another one in 2000? After mourning over the other one? That doesn't make much sense.

Another Mr. Hooper?? That's news to me.

jediX

Reaction score
I sparcely see SS these days, seeing as I'm in class when it's on and when I'm even home I'm usually asleep at that time. But there is no 'new replacement Hooper', as in a guy PLAYING Hooper (the character)...I just think they have some other guy running his store. Alan? Right?

::Not an SS expert:: :stick_out_tongue:

Jessica

Reaction score
jediX said:
But there is no 'new replacement Hooper', as in a guy PLAYING Hooper (the character)...I just think they have some other guy running his store. Alan? Right?
Oh yeah, I forgot! Yeah, it's Alan.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I think a lot of the first observations made are whats wrong with America. Cookie says what they hey and you come to the conclusion that kids will start cursing out their parants. It doesn't happen that way. The same goes for Baby Bear asking if his dad knew about his mom being prenant. No kid will look at that and think about anything having to do with an affair. And if a kid does, that kid has more problems than Sesame Street.

As for Oscar questioning Santa like that. The way you phrased it, it's as if you don't want kids to think for themselves and question things in life. Do you really want kids to blindly follow whatever you say? They'll grow up to be sheep. Life is all about questioning the universe. Why is this like that? Why is that like this? If kids don't start with these questions at an early age, they'll never start.

You're doing what parents groups do all the time. You're picking things apart and finding problems that aren't there. You really need to find something else to do.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wiggy... you took the words out of my mouth!

These comments are exactly why SS is so tame and more kid oriented than ever before. Heck, Darn, phooey aren't cuss words. they do not lead the kid on the road to swearing, just the opposite. You hear much more worse things just walking out of the house. Telling your kid to say Darn or Heck instead of the obvious I think is a much better thing to do.

Oscar falling down the stairs isn't violence, unless someone purposely pushed him off. He lost his grip, whent flying, and flew down the stairs by accident. I see nothing more harmul in that than watching a cartoon featuring Goofy.

"Does Papa Bear know" is obviously a light hearted kid's comment, and nothing more. They do not know how it's done (believing in a stork) and therefore, it was ment as a "Kid's say the Darnedest things" comment, not "Mom?!?! What the **** did you do? When Dad finds out you've been seeing Papa from the Berenstain Bears instead, he'll flip!!!"