Cool Jim Henson Article from 1986

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Found this article by accident when searching Yahoo! for Muppets pictures. It's a really great read, and a nice little window into the past of our favorite Muppeteer.

Here's a link to the article, and here's some more links to the article that I saved in Photobucket, just in case the link expires anytime soon.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Cool Pic!

Enjoy!
:smile:
Anthony

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is an interesting find! Normally I don't mind violence on TV, since it is so over the top. But I think Jim made a good point about perspective. Seeing too much violence as a normal occurence can have a negative effect. It's like the News, all they show is the bad stuff. It offers an incomplete, depressing view of the world.

And it's true, producers don't care what's good for their audience. They just cater to our most primal, low class desires. It is up to us to say, "Hey, we don't want to watch this!"

"And this is just way out of perspective. I think that it shows a great lack of responsibility on the part of broadcasters and on the part of the producers and directors. It's all of us. And I think we have to change it."

Tim

Reaction score
It was always interesting how Jim was so against violence on TV (me too) but so much of his stuff could be very dark. He was on the Dinah Shore with Anthony Newly. Anthony and Dinah talked about childrens' fairy tales like Hansel & Gretel and how dark and violent they could be, but Jim stood up for this saying how it dealt with childrens' fears and how they should be exposed to this early on. Kinda strange...

But Walt Disney felt the same exact way, so...?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Wow, this is amazing! I am currently writing an essay for my english class about how Jim Henson used television as a medium to promote positive messages to the global community. This article is EXACTLY what I am writing about!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
MuppetMarc said:
If only he saw t.v. today :embarrassed:
If only he saw pop culture in general today, period. I just read an article about how younger kids (ages approx 7-12) are now doing things normally reserved for teenagers, like being obsessed with fads, wanting to wear "trendy" clothes and carry cell phones and have relationships with the opposite gender.

The article blames an increasingly pervasive and adult-rated media. I say blame those kids' parents as well.

I swear, they're not letting kids be kids anymore.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It is mainly the parents. I feel like most parents raise their kids to fit in, be an average, normal, well-liked child. That sounds reasonable, you want your kid to be happy. However, it means parents are not teaching their children to think for themselves. You end up raising a sheep, with no emphasis on individuality. No understanding that there are more important things than popularity. Such as being moral and intelligent.

Then parents are shocked when their kids make mistakes later in life, all because they want to be popular.