1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Copyrighting puppets

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by puppetron, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

Never actually thought of that....now I know what Jim Henson had to go through back in his time.
  2. wes

wes Active Member

Thank God for this Thread!

I was just ask to make Design and make puppets for a Indoor entertainment company. sort of like Dave and Busters meets Chuckee Cheese. They want a toucan family 4 bird puppets and they want to keep the rights.

Is this normal?

I'm thinking $10 an Hour in a 40 hour week I think i can make 1 bird puppet a week, thats $ 400 for time and i'm thinking $50 in materials. Also once I read this thread I noticed that RavageFrackle mentioned a designing fee, was think $200.

So.....

$400 time
    + $50 materials
    ------
    $450
    x 4 Puppets
    ------
    $1800
    +$200 desinging fee
    ------
    $2000 Total

would this be to absorbatant, is this a resenable offer from my side of the table?

I was also thinking that if he keps the rights and he turns my idea in to a doll and it makes money, cant i ask for a cut of that, or is that a pie in the sky pipe dream on my part.

thanks every one!
  3. Onath

Onath Member

I think I would ask for more $ and hour. $10 an hour wage is kinda rough that doesn't buy much I would go to at least $12 an hour and have you factored in money in case of errors or changes.
  4. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

no. $20 at LEAST.....trust me
  5. Luke

Luke Active Member

I don't have much of a clue on prices, the puppet builders here have the knowledge on that - but yes, you need some kind of agreement on the licensing rights for the designs as he could put the image on t-shirts, badges, make dolls etc. If you are worried about pricing yourself above his budget you could always offer two options, either a percentage of any licensing profits over time or a one off upfront fee for him to own those rights.
  6. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

7. wes

wes Active Member

Thanks, and I will.

WoW thats what i'm talking about! I think that the more I do, the more i'll feel comfortable with asking $20 an Hour. but I am getting a hang of this pricing business.

We we had a meeting and I'm building the puppets, and designing the kids area witch the puppets will be apart of and I'll get a cut of any merchindice that will be sold form that area.

I feel pretty good about the set up and this is a major step for me and the direction i would like to go!

Heres the Site:ZOO CITY It opens Mid January, If your close stop by. The Kids part will be named Toucan Land!

Thanks for all the support and help I love our puppetry forum!:)