Copyrights and plagerism

Muppet Misfit

Reaction score
Hello

I was curious about the issue about using copyrighted characters.
I knew of a student in my school who trying to create his own comic company. I had seen his work which he had also had posted all over our school. Now from what most students saw his work said it was a rip off of Jim Hensons Muppets. I dont think its right to steal anyones idea I know cause this person after I tried working with him tried stealing my ideas as well. So I am looking into putting an end to his intensions. So I am contacting others to let them know what he has done.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
We love discussing copyright issues likes these over in the Puppetry forum (Well I do anyways). Here's a link to our latest discussion on the subject of copyright. It may help give you a better understanding of how copyright works.

I'd be careful about going around slamming someone over an issue like this. You have to be careful, because if you phrase things the wrong way and it all becomes a legal issue you could end up getting sued for slandering the would-be-comic-creator. Not likely, but it could happen. Something to keep in mind.

Probably the best thing to do is drop the Jim Henson company a note via their Web site marked ATTN: Legal Department. If it is a legitimate case of infringement they will likely send the person a cease and desist letter.

Remember, there are perfectly legitimate ways to use trademarked characters in original works of art. This is called fair use and it can be a tricky concept to understand. For more info check the links I posted here.

Muppet Misfit

Reaction score
website?

Thanks for the Tip do you have the exact jim henson website url so I can go their?