Corraline Puppets & artistry

chrisfason

Reaction score
great find! this is going to be a fantastic film. apple has the trailer in hd for those interested... gaiman is quite possibly my favorite storyteller ever.

ShiveringCactus

Reaction score
Wow, can't wait to see the movie. It really looks like it's going to be visually (and technically!) amazing.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Wired has a nice photo spread with images and an explanation of how they build various things for the movie in its latest issue. I don't think they've put it online yet, but they probably will soon.

Klarkkent

Reaction score
I just saw "My Bloody Valentine" in 3D on Friday (which wasn't bad) and got to see the new trailer for "Coraline" in it's full 3D glory and I can't tell you enough how beautiful this movie is going to be. I was excited about the project from the beginning, but after seeing portions of it in 3D it takes it to a new level. The fact that it's stop-motion in 3D puts you right there with the puppets and sets.

I really think that this new versioning of 3D (called Real D) technology combined with the art of stop-motion is a match made in heaven. I think Henry Selick mentions in one of the behind the scenes shorts promoting the movie that the 3D aspect really puts the audience in the world that the filmmakers have existed in while making the movie.

I'll definitely be checking it out.

RockerRob

Reaction score
I am seeing Coraline this Friday. The artistry is amazing and the story looks creepy great! I mentioned the film to one of my friends and she said "Five years," stone face, "it took them five years to make that movie. Why would they go to that much trouble?" I laughed. Some people don't get the dedication that goes into this kind of thing.

I just hope that come Oscar time next year, the Academy doesn't forget this movie for at least all the visual categories, and screen adaptation even. But I shouldn't jump the gun.

Pork

Reaction score
OOOH, this looks extremely awesome! I've always loved minitures...and those tiny sweaters are amazing! ! ! I'm so looking forward to this movie.

Klarkkent

Reaction score
I got the chance to see "Coraline" in 3D today and I gotta say it was amazing. Not just for the brilliant Neil Gaiman story, not just for the Henry Selick stop-motion mastery, but for the fact that it's stop-motion in 3D! It really immerses you in the stop-motion physicality. Everything seems so tangible and full of textures. Like you can almost touch the miniature hand knitted sweaters that Coraline wears.

Outside of the 3Dness the movie itself is really good. I recommend that if you get the chance go check it out in 3D. It really is a beautiful experience.