Could someone explain a Bert and Ernie skit to me?

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
I remember seeing a skit where Ernie is sticking a banana in his ear and Bert asks him why and Ernie says Youll have to speak louder cause i have a banana in my ear. Did we ever find out why the banana was in his ear?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if the English version is anything like the Spanish version I think I remember from my days of watching Plaza Sesamo...
Ernie's got the banana in his ear because he's trying to keep alligators away from Sesame Street. Bert then says that there aren't any alligators on Sesame Street. To which Ernie replies, "See how well it's working?"

The reason this one sticks in my mind so is because in the Spanish version Ernie said "banano" as the Spanish word for "banana", when the true Spanish word for banana is "guineo." Hope this helps,if I'm fright. Remember, this one's from deep within my memory so it might not be 100% accurate nor correct.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
This story is in the introduction to the anniversary book SESAME STREET UNPAVED

mikealan

Reaction score
I never watched the classic Ernie Has A Banana In His Ear sketch before...I've got some pictures on the SSU book and the one that is posted from Noggin for the SSU pictures page. I guess it's shown only on Sesame Street Unpaved on Noggin, and it was shown on episode #2558 where Maria was pageant and had highlights like the typewriter guy r-rope, the first Monsterpiece Theater sketch, the african alphabet by Kermit, and even the scary live-action film of the red-hot I! The pictures of this episode are shown on the SSU pictures page of toonarific.com. The sponsors of this episode are I, R and 7.