Coverings other than fleece?

Macbrander

Reaction score
As beginner puppetbuilder I wonder what materials other than fleece people are using for covering?

/Fred

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Coverings other than fleece

Wow. That's a large question. It really depends on the character. You could leave the foam uncovered and dye it. You can also use fur, felt, or terry cloth. I think I've even heard of some characters being made out of carpet. It all depends on the look you want.

Macbrander

Reaction score
I realize that... I was thinking of maybe painting the foam with a couple of layers of latex? Would that work for a "human" puppet?

/Fred

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hey...

Hey Macbrander. I've brushed latex over foam many times. Personally, I don't think it has the right look for human characters. It's better for creatures, ogres, etc.

If you want to use latex for human characters, to achieve the best look you'll probably have to go through the whole process of sculpting, mold-making, casting the latex and foam (or patterning a sufficient foam skull), and so on. That way you get a smooth surfaced latex covering - more like human skin.

I'd really consider whether a realistic look is absolutely necessary to the character. It may be, so in turn, the work involved would be necessary. If not, you may have an easier construction experience and find that in the end you sacraficed very little or even nothing at all in terms of the character.

Hope this helps!