Creating Letter Puppets

itchekadoozy

Reaction score
I'm trying to create some letter puppets (hebrew letters, but the principal is the same). I imagine them being no bigger than a foot and a half x a foot and a half. The challenge is getting the mouth moving, assuming that squeaing my arm into those tight, odd shapes would be hard, if not impossible. Some sort of mechanism might be best, but I much prefer using my hand. Any ideas?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
well the way it is done, is to cutthe letters out of regular old upholstery foam, 2 to 3 inches thick.

then dye the foam, then you need to cut a small mouth, and figure out were you will mount a rod to hold the letter up,

to make the mouth move use some fishing line, or invisible thread, it will be unseen form a stage, and its simple to do

itchekadoozy

Reaction score
Finished!

Thanks, ravagefrackle. I ended up doing it competely differently, but I'll use your suggestions for future aleph-beit puppets (eventually i'll have to make all 22!) here's the finished product:
mem puppet

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hey Itche,

I just checked out your site and your show looks really neat. I don't have time to watch all the episodes now but what a great idea. There's a lot of neat work being done by Jewish puppeteers these days, but it doesn't get much attention.

How often do you post new shows?

itchekadoozy

Reaction score
The Itche Kadoozy Show

I put up a new show every week. The web is really great for this stuff. Buck, I've checked bear-town periodically, but haven't seen consistent updates?
Oh, and if any of you have jewish friends, be sure to send them to my puppet stuff.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Bear Town is now going in to pre-production as a independent feature, which is why there haven't been regular updates. We're working on updating the site to reflect that.