creative controll

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've read that Jim Henson was given creative controll over The Muppet Show, due to it being syndicated, but does anybody know if Jim Henson was given this privledge when he made The Jim Henson Hour? Heck, I wonder if Henson ahd creative controll over Fraggle Rock, and wonder if Sesame Workshop has creative controll for Sesame Street.

I know that the Jim Henson Hour pitch tape is quite different. The "Inner Tube" sequence has mostly new characters, and out of these new characters, only Digit remained a main character on the show. Kermit and Miss Piggy only had cameos. It seems like Jim Henson might have planned on this being more different from The Muppet Show than how it turned out. I wonder if Jim Henson decided on his own for Kermit to be the main character and for the show to have more established Muppets present, or if the network demanded this.

In the behind-the-scenes portion, Jim Henson mentioned a structure that he'd planned for the series, with one week being an hour-long StoryTeler episode (and The StoryTeller ended up being shown as the secodn half of most episodes), the next week being "Lead-Free TV", the pilots Inner Tube (and referred to as "The Muppet Show of the future"), the next week being a fantasy special, and the next week being an "anything-can-happen" week. The show wasn't structured that way, but I wonder if it was Henson's decision, or if the network wanted it to be that way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know that the Jim Henson Hour pitch tape is quite different. The "Inner Tube" sequence has mostly new characters, and out of these new characters, only Digit remained a main character on the show. Kermit and Miss Piggy only had cameos. It seems like Jim Henson might have planned on this being more different from The Muppet Show than how it turned out. I wonder if Jim Henson decided on his own for Kermit to be the main character and for the show to have more established Muppets present, or if the network demanded this..
If any of Frank's characters haven't been featured much, that may have been due to him working on other projects at the time. So you shouldn't forget to discount that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If any of Frank's characters haven't been featured much, that may have been due to him working on other projects at the time. So you shouldn't forget to discount that.
Yes, I figured that. I don't think I said anything about the lack of Frank Oz characters in the first post.