1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Custom patches?

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by mrhogg, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mrhogg

mrhogg New Member

Hey everybody,

I was curious to know if anyone knows of a way to get custom embroidered patches (like this:http://battlestar.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/ebl252.jpg), or a good way to simulate it.

I was thinking that short of ordering a run of custom patches (when I'll need somewhere between 4 or 6), I could get some foam/fabric, and use some fabric paint to simulate the depth.

What do you think?

2. Klarkkent

Klarkkent New Member

You might be able to create it with an iron-on version of that photo. The quality might not be what you're looking for though. Nothing beats the real thing, but iron-ons would be cheaper and quicker.

3. mrhogg

mrhogg New Member

That could work. Or maybe a combination of the two, where I thickly paint over a printout with fabric paint.

4. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

5. mrhogg

mrhogg New Member

I hadn't, no, thanks for the link. I'm thinking that they should be smaller, as they're for the puppets, which are 1/4 scale, or something like that. The reduction in size will also allow for me to simplify the design somewhat.

6. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

7. Toasty

Toasty New Member

I haven't tried them personally, but CafePress started offering embroidery for designers selling items on their site.

Here's a sample...
    http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&no=223

The items available for embroidery are limited, but as a "shopkeeper" (which is free to setup) you can probably buy that type of hat with your custom patch on it for about $17. With the small puppet-size scale that you need, you might be able to squeeze 2 patches side-by-side (in 1 design) and cut them apart after.

Then just trim the whole thing off the hat and attach to the puppet.

It's still costly, but could be an option for a truly custom outcome.

8. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest checking out Cafepress too, or similar sites like Zazzle. Any time I've needed custom embroidered patches I've had them professionally made and it is expensive.

You can actually hand embroider your own patches with a needle and embroidery floss. If you browse some of the DIY sites like Craft you might find a good method or tutorial. There may even be low-cost embroidery machines on the market now (they used to cost upwards of $1000).

9. MuppetCaper

MuppetCaper Active Member

Try Ebay sometimes you might find one there.

10. mrhogg

mrhogg New Member

There are BSG patches on eBay -- there're a bunch, actually -- but I was looking to get something smaller. I think I'm going to go the fabric-painting-a-circle-of-fabric route, as that seems by far the cheapest (and probably even the quickest).

Thanks for the help, everybody. It's really appreciated!

11. staceyrebecca

staceyrebecca Active Member

You can request customized items on Etsy...People who do machine embroidery are usually fairly interested in doing custom work there. Be realistic when you pitch your ideal price. They'll let you know what their work is worth, though.

I've worked with a few people on Etsy for embroidery before..if you want, I can give you their names directly. Their only concern would be copyright infringement. Some people care about it more than others.

12. Mary84

Mary84 New Member

I know...topic is old, but i'm looking for muppets embroidered patches in canada. I need just 3 pieces - not more. But every company which i have wrote to, says that i must order minimum 10 pieces or more :/
    Do You have any propositions?

13. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I think the advice above is still valid...if you want small quantities and don't want to make a minimum order of around 10 you need to find someone who can do custom work via a site like Etsy.

It is a lot of work to make a one-off custom embroidered patch...for most people it is not worth the time and effort for just one unfortunately.

14. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

Mustve missed this post the first time around... We had a bunch of patches embroidered by a local embroidery shop and YES it is a bit expensive... but well worth it for authentic looking high quality costuming! Everytime i look at a character wearing one of the patches im super proud of it! lol

Buck-Beaver likes this.