1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Custom Whatnot Workshop Kit

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Mjolnir, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

So I bought my two sons Muppet Whatnots from TRU for Christmas but wanted them to have something closer to the FAO Schwartz experience in terms of really customizing their Muppets. The TRU kit comes with a decent assortment of parts but I wanted them to have tons of choices and be able to create any Muppet they could imagine. So I bought a carrying case with storage trays from the hobby store and then set about creating various muppet eyes, noses and hair options the old fashioned way (ping pong balls, felt, foam and hot glue). Tooks a few hours over the course of 2-3 weeks to create over 20 new sets of eyes, about 15 new noses and 6 new facial and head hair options. All are backed with velcro so they stick to the Muppet just like the stock parts do. I also created a felt "practice" sheet (slides under the 4th tray) so they can plot out the design of the muppet before they actually place parts on the Muppet blank. Thought the folks here would appreciate this. Can't wait till they open their Whatnots and this kit on Christmas. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

You are the coolest parent EVER!!

that AWESOME!!

cc

3. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

thats awesome

4. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Very professional.I wish you could actually buy that!!
    I noticed the labelling was different for the noses.
    Surely the kids could pick their own noses!! Ha Ha.

5. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

That's is really cool!!!

6. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Awesome!! I love this kit!! :)

7. ilovemuppet4eva

ilovemuppet4eva Active Member

That is so cool. I am so jealous. I wish I could make something for myself like this but I lack artistic ability :)

8. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

Thanks guys. I had a lot of fun making the kit. Kinda surprised that Disney hasn't already done some sort of take-home kit for more customizing options. Seems like an easy enough online only type offering. Oh we'll, as a long time toy customizer, I gave up waiting on big manufacturers to give me what I wanted long ago. Now, I just make the stuff I want! Thanks for the feedback.

KermieBaby47 likes this.
  9. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

You, sir or madam, rock.

10. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great idea!! I want one!! :)

11. ilovemuppet4eva

ilovemuppet4eva Active Member

Did you use the ping pong balls whole for the eyes or cut them in half?

12. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

this is awesome i need to get me one of these

13. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

WOw if they actually made that it would be on my wish list

14. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

@ ilovemuppet4eva : I cut the balls in half then hot glued them to a firm felt. Once the glue set, I cut them off the felt, flush with the ball and applied Velcro to the underside. Whole balls would also probably work for really bulgy eyes.

KermieBaby47 likes this.
  15. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

Absolutely the best thing ever

16. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

So here I've been thinking all this time that I was the bestest Dad ever. :D You ROCK!!!

17. davidandora

davidandora New Member

This is so fantastic! Thanks for sharing your efforts with us!