Cutting foam

ddavisborg

Reaction score
I have been using one of those electric knives - the kind that you use to cut meat. I found that I get more control if I make sure to have a part of the foam that I am not cutting resting on the table. It doesn't wiggle around so much and I get a better line. I have used the other type - the one that melts with battery power - on styrofoam and when making props out of blue foam (reticulated foam?). I never have tried it on puppet foam though.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think most people are referring to your Dad's "household chainsaw." Some people do use the heated-metal-filament-thingie but I don't recommend it. When foam melts (even a little bit) it releases all kinds of nasty chemicals in to the air.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
I've only ever sculpted puppet heads and bodies out of block foam, except the one time I built a full-body puppet.

I used a serrated steak knife for big cuts, a super sharp x-acto knife for fine cuts, and a pair of "Fiskers" like scissors for most of the sculpting. It took soooooo many little snips to even out a surface. At the end of my work, I'd find myself sitting in a pile of foam "chips."

I want to work more with sheet foam after looking over your Tumbles P. Bear project, Buck. My way of sculpting out of big blocks is time-consuming, wasteful, and expensive.

--Scraps

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I know a builder who swears by her fish-filleting knife. It actually works really well too. Easy to keep sharp as well.