1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Cutting foam

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by biblebetty, Nov 28, 2003.

1. ddavisborg

ddavisborg New Member

I have been using one of those electric knives - the kind that you use to cut meat. I found that I get more control if I make sure to have a part of the foam that I am not cutting resting on the table. It doesn't wiggle around so much and I get a better line. I have used the other type - the one that melts with battery power - on styrofoam and when making props out of blue foam (reticulated foam?). I never have tried it on puppet foam though.
  2. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

I think most people are referring to your Dad's "household chainsaw." Some people do use the heated-metal-filament-thingie but I don't recommend it. When foam melts (even a little bit) it releases all kinds of nasty chemicals in to the air.
  3. ScrapsFlippy

ScrapsFlippy Member

I've only ever sculpted puppet heads and bodies out of block foam, except the one time I built a full-body puppet.

I used a serrated steak knife for big cuts, a super sharp x-acto knife for fine cuts, and a pair of "Fiskers" like scissors for most of the sculpting. It took soooooo many little snips to even out a surface. At the end of my work, I'd find myself sitting in a pile of foam "chips."

I want to work more with sheet foam after looking over your Tumbles P. Bear project, Buck. My way of sculpting out of big blocks is time-consuming, wasteful, and expensive.

--Scraps
  4. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

I know a builder who swears by her fish-filleting knife. It actually works really well too. Easy to keep sharp as well.