D-U-C-K-I-E: an underrated song

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have often wondered this as well. Sesamestreet.org lists "health and safety" as the subject.
I don't know about safety, but I can understand how it falls under health... because Ernie's taking a bath... and bathing has to do with hygiene, which is important for your health.

The song itself may not be educational, but Ernie's spoken intro is somewhat, as he describes what he's doing (taking a bath), as well as describing the various things he's using and will be using (soap and washcloth to wash himself, scrub brush to wash his back, towel to dry off when finished).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know about safety, but I can understand how it falls under health... because Ernie's taking a bath... and bathing has to do with hygiene, which is important for your health.
At sesamestreet.org, most sketches that focus on either are listed as "health and safety". I guess "health and/or safety" would be pushing it.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I guess the song's educational lesson is spelling a word; but it seems like each letter should have appeared on-screen as Ernie sang each letter, spelling out "duckie" on-screen. Either that, or Ernie should have spelled the whole word straight, as opposed to saying what each letter stands for.
If I had been a producer for that segment, I would indeed have included the letters--each one appearing in order as Ernie sang the relevant line, then the whole word "duckie" highlighted when he sang "put them all together, they spell 'duckie'".

ISNorden

Reaction score
What educational lesson does "Rubber Duckie" teach? I think both that song and "D-U-C-K-I-E" just talk about Ernie's love for his rubber duckie. And that's a great lesson in itself. And I love both songs!:stick_out_tongue::smile:
Without Ernie's prologue explaining what he does in the bathtub, "Rubber Duckie" might have been classed as a song about emotions (his attachment to the duck) or imagination (treating his duck like a live friend, though that classification's a stretch). Either way, it's a classic that deserves to stay on Sesame Street.