Daddy Dear Moment!

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
How on EARTH do you pass the DUMBEST things on to your children? I received some more Unpaved's today and my daughter and I were enjoying them all day. Of course, I was wondering when the "Daddy Dear" sketch would come up and how I would react. I mean, it always made me feel sad as a kid at the end of it, and I actually haven't seen it in about 25 years. So, anyway, it DOES come up on one of the discs and I actually DID get that weird feeling in my stomach, but maintained, I must say! :smile: Then, it comes up on another disc, and my daughter is quite entertained by it...dancing to it, even! Then, when my wife got home I was showing her certain skits and we were having a laugh, and then DD comes on, so I thought I'd show her how much our daughter liked it. This time, she puts her arms up so I'll pick her up and she just stares at it. THEN, it gets to the end. "Li-ttle Dol-ly Go To Bed." (that line that always got me) and she just looks at me for a second, then loses it completely! Of course, I couldn't hold it in after that!

How on EARTH do you pass stuff like that on to your kids? It's not like she had any clue how it affected me as a child, and it's the exact same for her. It was my day off today, and at 9 am I put it over to (the new) SS for her to watch and she got ANGRY! She likes Unpaved better! (She's almost 3, BTW) Music...actually, pretty music, mostly piano, affects her in a way I don't think she's old enough to even comprehend yet. She's overcome with emotion when she hears, say, "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" by Vince Guaraldi Trio. Once the song ends, she's INCONSOLABLE for almost half an hour! And you know what? I WAS THE EXACT SAME WAY. Everyone in my family thought something was dreadfully wrong with me. Now, being a musician, I can attribute it to an inborn love of music. Like, I mean, deep. I suppose she has the same feelings towards music that I have, she's just too little to understand right now. Amazing.

Anyone else had anything like this happen?

later
eric

p.s. I haven't been able to really discuss this with too many people before meeting up with you guys without anyone thinking I was nuts. What do you think? I would say that the "Muppet Moments That Affect You Emotionally" thread says it all. You guys are on the same page as me.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
That's an awesome, story, Eric...thank so much for sharin' it! :smile:

And while I can't relate since I'm a single guy, I could understand it if the same thing happened to me. I too am a musician with a passionate, innate love for music that is an incredible and unbreakable bond.

And your li'l girl much prefers "Unpaved" over the new SS...not only is she smart, she has better taste than some adults! :stick_out_tongue:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Aw, that's such a sweet story! :halo: It's interesting how reactions to music can run in the family. I have pretty much the exact same taste in music as my parents. I wonder if our first reactions were the same for some songs. Probably! I bet my reaction to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was different than theirs; it's now just about my favorite song, but the first time (I was seven or eight) I heard it I thought it was about the most long and boring song I'd ever heard in my life! :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
She's overcome with emotion when she hears, say, "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" by Vince Guaraldi Trio. Once the song ends, she's INCONSOLABLE for almost half an hour! And you know what? I WAS THE EXACT SAME WAY. Everyone in my family thought something was dreadfully wrong with me. Now, being a musician, I can attribute it to an inborn love of music. Like, I mean, deep. I suppose she has the same feelings towards music that I have, she's just too little to understand right now. Amazing.
i think your daughter, like me, will be forever grateful that she inherited her daddys love of music. when i was very small my dad used to sing 'leah' by roy orbison to me, i dont know why but it made me cry my eyes out, i guess i was having the same sort of reaction your little girl has when she hears 'cast your fate to the wind'...