Dark Crystal Figures

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Has anyone pre-ordered the figures?

I'm anxious to hear what someone thinks when they see them in person.

beaker

Reaction score
>>It's too bad they're not gonna make any of the Skeksis... <<

I know! that's what I'm mostly interested in! Hopefully Palisades(or even Mcfarlane) will pick up the licence to make 5 or 6" Skesksis...that would rule!

///beaker///

Chad Kermit

Reaction score
Dark Crystal Dolls

Has anyone recieved their set yet? Was just curious as to what they look like in person since some of the photo refrences I've seen of them in their boxes have not been the best. Or, perhaps the "content settled in shipment".

I should have mine next week after the long delay. If anyone is looking for a set, let me know. I will have a few extra sets

Chad

MrTheFrog

Reaction score
I got mine 2 days ago, and they don't look as good in the boxes as in the photos. I think their bangs are too short. But the boxes themselves are really nice. I really don't want to open them so I guess I'm stuck with being less than satisfied.
-Artie

MUPPET FAN

Reaction score
"The Dark Crystal" Gelfling Figures

Hello,

I received mine on Friday. I must admit that I am more than happy with them. I would have killed to have something like these when the movie first came out over 20 years ago.

Their outfits are amazing. Their likenessess are about as close to the originals as you could get. Although my only criticism is that I would have liked Kira's hair to be less yellow and was Jen's hair really that blue in the film? Maybe it just did not come across that way but the actual puppet character had blue hair. They have great movement so they can be positioned in many ways. For $80 (I paid more because of Canadian dollars) they are well worth it and I am going to order another set and leave them in their boxes and display the others for all to see.

I also liked that Jen came with his flute and the crystal shard. Having Fizzgig with Kira was also very cool.

These are a must for all Henson collectors!

Take care!

Brian Knatchbull

Patty

Reaction score
I'm a huge Dark Crystal freak, and I find these figures mildly disappointing. It's great to see *any* merchandise see the light of day, but the figures are so-so.

First off, anyone who pre-ordered (many of whom did so 18 months ago) got shafted, because the figures are being sold (individually) in Suncoast Video stores for $20 less than Sideshow charged per set.

I pre-ordered and haven't received my set yet, so I grabbed an extra Kira from my local Suncoast to bide my time. The figures look awful in the boxes, and they do "unpack" much better. I like the artwork on the boxes, but I actually think they don't do the product justice. For one thing, you can't see the figures, and when you do see the figures, they look mangled -- hair in badly wrapped styles and the heads are posed to look grotesquely alien. So I do think they will come down in price even further. The presentation doesn't make them look worth 29.99.

Sideshow used the same "GI-Joe" articulated human body they use for all their figures. They basically plopped a new, slightly out-of-proportion head on top and threw on some new hands and feet. So I think that's why they look "weird" at first glance.

The face sculpt is much better than anything produced twenty years ago, but the resemblance is far from striking when you compare the dolls to the actual movie characters. I think an average garage kit sculptor could have done a more accurate job considering the source material.

I'm glad they came out at all, but I'd still like to see better, and I'd love to see other characters. Since the price for these mediocre dolls started so high, I'd be happy to see a Franklin Mint version of the Gelflings, with Wendy Froud sculpting. Art Asylum or McFarlane should get a crack at the critters. I'm surprised they didn't -- they would have had the Skeksis out two years ago!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
My buddy Chad Kermit has some under "For Sale or Trade" and looks like a great deal to me.

I betcha Ken Lilly and crew would be able to make some VERY KEEN figures!!!! AND you could almost even get the whole cast then!

FOZ

M

Muppet Labs

Hi Everyone,

I just bought Jen and Kira today at SunCoast and I love them!!!! I think that SideShow did an amzing job with them and I loved both the packaging and the outfits.....I have two questions for everyone that bought them and the first is does Jen's head move alot more easily then Kira's head in that his head seems loose? The second question is who else is having problems getting them to stand in that little display they give?......I would love to know if anyone has the answers to those two questions, so please reply if you have both Jen and Kira....Thanks!

Bye,

Todd

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Got mine today. I thought there were a lot of very cool things about them. There were some flaws, but overall a solid product. The distortion people are talking about in the likeness is the same problem on Miss Piggy. Whenever you do rooted hair and use a rotocast head, it sometimes gets hinky. Hard to control and you have to do some things to the head to get it to work right with rooted hair.

Ken