1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dark Crystal?! Freaky?!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Gerard, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Gerard

Gerard New Member

I rented the dark crystal the other day, and mum couldn't watch it, she thought it was 'freaky' and 'gross', I loved it :flirt: , does anybody else think it's freaky?
  2. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Well, we've got little bitty creatures having their souls sucked out by giant skeleton-like birds. Not exactly the cheeriest of stories. It's got amazing production design, but the film is quite a bit dark, even for my tastes.
  3. Gerard

Gerard New Member

Mmmm. Thats probably why I prefer Labyrinth, a little more fun.
  4. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

When I was little

When I was little, my dad would rent it and it would scare me so bad! expecialy the part where they suck out there essence, it just creept me out! I LOVE the movie now! but it is kinda dark... My little cousins were afraid of the Labrinth when I showed them my movie, they really hate when teh gobblens coem and take Toby, they star screeming and crying! :crazy:
  5. wockawocka

wockawocka New Member

Yeah, haha, it is a little freaky. I finally got it from the library a few weeks ago. It just wasn't really my kind of movie, but it was ok. I LOVED The Labyrinth though!
  6. Don'tLiveonMoon

Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

It took me a couple viewings to really get into "Labyrinth." I liked certain aspects the first time around, but for some reason the movie as a whole just really didn't click with me. I like it a lot better now, but I still prefer "The Dark Crystal," I think. I just think the ending is so cool. I love how order is restored by the two groups coming together... just reall neat.
    Erin
  7. tutterthegreat

tutterthegreat New Member

I have loved that movie ever since it came out. It's a joyful and amazing adventure! Every Henson fan should watch it if they have not yet. :)
  8. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I remember the first time i heard about my dad told me. It was the book about Jim Henson. Its in the collectibles under books. But he told me about and I was like cool neat and one thing i remember him telling me was its not w/ the muppets like Kermit, Fozzie and Piggy its w/ werid creatures. Then it happen one night that it came on Disney Channel and that same night a friend spent-the-night we were in our teens so it no being scared but it was cool for the first time to have a friend over who didn't care about watching a movie from the same company that had brought the muppets. We played along w/ it like where u play u pick character to be in the movie and pretend u him or her or something but cool as it can be i was like this is neat after wanting to see it so bad I finally got to. Awsome memirous. (bad spelling)
  9. Patty

Patty New Member

I adored Dark Crystal when I was a kid. The film was a perfect blend of dark subject matter and simple storytelling. Best of all: the film didn't feel like it was talking down to me (as a child).

I hated Labyrinth when I first saw it. The film fell into every "kiddie movie" trap that Dark Crystal avoided. I thought that Dark Crystal was unique and different; Labyrinth was just a weaker Muppet entry with boring music and a cardboard story.

As a kid, I thought Labyrinth was a "sell-out;" it was as if Henson regretted taking risks with Dark Crystal, and thus he made a more mainstreamed movie. (he practically said as much in interviews.)

My Labyrinth views have softened over the years ... I appreciate it for the work involved. But I still feel that Dark Crystal is the superior project. In my eyes, Dark Crystal is art; Labyrinth is a kiddie movie.
  10. Chihiro

Chihiro New Member

Labyrinth was art... I don't know why it is consider a "sell-out"... I have yet to see any fantasy film like Labyrinth or Dark Crystall for that matter. But all that is my opinion.

I like The Dark Crystall for the same fact I like Labyrinth... Both good stories and both diffrent. I enjoy the fact that the Dark Crystall is all muppets. It makes it unique but Labyrinth showed a little reall life human action which was also inspiring.
  11. arrghh patty, to quote homer simpson.."you know that feeling you get when a thousand knives of fire are stabbing you in the heart? i got that now..";)
  12. Patty

Patty New Member

Hee hee ... :o

Like I said, my views on Labyrinth have softened over the years. I do appreciate the effort that went into it; I also dig some of the visual stylings.

But I still think Dark Crystal was the product of a much bigger, more mature, more unique vision than Labyrinth. As evidenced by the lack of human characters.

And as a bonafide Dark Crystal fanatic -- one who waited for Labyrinth with baited breath because of her love for Dark Crystal, I found Labyrinth to be very disappointing when it was first released.

Trust me: I know five Labyrinth fanatics for every Dark Crystal fan. So I realize it's the more popular movie. I just wish Henson had lived to see both films enjoy the devotion they do now.
  13. aria

aria New Member

dark crystal all the way

it's funny how much more violence is in movies these days that thinking back to the dark crystal doesn't seem so scary, but i remember being quite freaked out by the essence sucking part. however that is never the image that is conjured up when i think about what an epic tale of good vs. evil it is. i was blown away and am still completely sucked into the whole world of it.
    the labrinth kinda turned me off with all of the overdramatic singing and david bowie's very, very tight pants seems odd for a children's movie. :o but i still enjoy it.
  14. Mark Filton

Mark Filton New Member

Yeah, I liked the Dark Crystal much more than Labyrinth.

Labyrinth is still good, though :D
  15. Don'tLiveonMoon

Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

I'm with ya there!! *shudder*
    Erin
  16. i drag labyrinth or the dark crystal out of the cupboard every couple of weeks and every time i watch it i pick up something that i missed before..theres soo much in these movies that goes over kids heads...but, i showed the dark crystal to my three year old neice a little while ago and even being so young, she understood the whole 'good over evil' deal..it was inspiring!:halo: