1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dark Crystal Spoof on Robot Chicken

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by SJohnson, Sep 5, 2009.

1. SJohnson

SJohnson Member

Did anyone see the Dark Crystal Spoof on Robot Chicken? It's pretty funny.
  2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Hi... If you have an opinion on the Dark Crystal parody that aired on Robot Chicken, please post here. However, I'd like to remind everyone to be considerate and mindful of what each person ends up posting. Thanks and sorry for the temporary inconvenience.
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Thanks for reopening this thread. Yes, that DC Robot Chicken clip has been the highlight of my morning. I think it honors Jim more than anything. The time spent making this, the understanding of the characters and the reverence for the source material demonstrates that. :scary:

Thanks SJohnson for posting about this! :super:
  4. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I personally thought it was hilarious, however, I remember what happened with the FR flame war. I'm certain the idea was to avoid a similar war where there are some who equate poking fun at anything with blasphemy.

At any rate, I found the entire vid based on that pun was highly amusing.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oh yes... that guy has been banned, so there really wouldn't be too much of a problem with this sort of thing anymore.

Anyway, I never thought the FR one was blasphemous... just poorly written and executed. Except the part about Doc and Sprocket and Traveling Matt. Other than that, it was one of RC's big misses.

Now THIS one was pure gold. In fact, it would have been much funnier had it not been all too true. This showed that they did the research on everything out there. This was one of their best Muppet sketches... right up there with the Behind the Music: The Electric Mayhem.
  6. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Considering a thread about a two-bit forgettable reality show, I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, yeah, I'll grant you the FR one was of less quality than this one. The only thing that I would have added was having Chamberlain wink at the camera and go MMMMMMMMMM while drinking. But that's just me. :D
  7. Drtooth

Well, I meant about Robot Chicken.... but that's enough of that.

I really think I was just disappointed by how lame most of the jokes were on the FR one... I can take anything extremely dark if it's at least clever, like this one was. Now the EM one and the Big Bird flu ones were a total riot as well... I wanna see that Gordon Gecko SS one someone was talking about in the references thread.

But mark my words... the best RC skit ever is the Ted Turner Captain Planet one... hands down.
  8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The Fraggle one would only be funny to those who pitched it in some 3 am meeting after hours of writer's block. There are so many funny things they could do. Okay, the postcards were funny. :coy:
  9. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Active Member

It was funny. I was have awake the day it aired in the morning, once I heard Dark Crystal I was wide awake. lol. Now I'm thinking they need to do a spoof of Labyrith. But I digress. It was halrious.
  10. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Rats! I missed it! Anyone know when it'll re-air? (Just wondered so I can tape it).

Convincing John
  11. Drtooth

I really think the concept was strong, and there was potential for something really funny. It seems to me, rembering it... whoever wrote the skit must have had only a small basic understanding of the show. Everyone besides Doc, Sprocket, and Uncle Matt was out of character... the voices just weren't there, and I really didn't believe that it was Gobo, Wembley and the rest... more like generic Fraggles. If the script went through a couple more rewrites, preceding a FR episode marathon, they would have had something solid.

But enough Monday Morning Quarterbacking...

This one worked because it was EXACTLY what the annoyed Henson fan needed. These jokes NEEDED to be said, and there is no doubt an irate Henson fan wrote this skit. The fact that they'd have to sell the heck out to get this movie into theaters is our greatest fear (Poor Corey Edwards... he spent so much time on this forum and his blog saying that he's keeping true to the Fraggle movie to avoid that). I really think that a DC 2 would do wonders on the big screen... much better than all the CGI Hulks, Chipmunks, and Cloudy Meatballs in the world. And there's just too much keeping it down.

BTW, anyone with keen eye sight notice Series 2 Fozzie's Groucho glasses and the various fruits and veggies from other figures in the foreground?
  12. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

You can watch the sketch on robotchicken.org. It was pretty funny.
  13. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I thought their Dark Cristal sketch was pretty well done. Mixing The Dark Crystal with a modern Hip-Hop flavor was not only a great juxtaposition; but the whole thing was pretty well done.

I thought the Fraggle Rock parody from a while back, was pretty good too. It was as much a parody of "Watership Down" as it was a Fraggle spoof. However, in my opinion, its short-coming was that it did not include many "geek moments" that only the real die-hard fans would pick-up on or get. The Dark Crystal/Cristal bit had a lot more details and references that us uber-fans could really appreciate.
  14. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

According to a commentary I watched for that episode, the Fraggle Rock sketch was done soley for the joke at the end (the fraggles getting shot through an oil pipeline).
  15. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

I loved the Dark Crystal spoof, if for nothing else for Kira, :), she's always been a personal crush of mine (what can I say sometimes I like really pale girls, lol).

I thought it was funny in a dark when though that those two I guess they were Henson producers, killed themselves. Well we failed you Jim. So messed up, :D.

But with that being said, I still feel the best Henson related parody is the beind the music of the Electric Mayhem.
  16. rche

rche New Member

It was fairly smooth and well orchestrated, tho not much in my humor vein. I would, however, love to get my hands on one of them Mystic puppets. The props and background characters were awesome.
  17. Fluffets

Fluffets New Member

Yeah in my opinion the EM parody was the best but compared to this its a bit depressing, like animal getting put down, I think the best bit was with Dr Teeth teching the kid: "Holy sh*t, you made me wanna pee myself!" THAT was quality humour, the impressions on that were great too, especially on dr teeth, but what was up with rowlf with moving eyes?:D
  18. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

HYSTERICAL! My friend mentioned that she saw this and I've been meaning to find this. Love the ending! :scary:
  19. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Oh, wow. You know, I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to pull a stunt like this. I mean, look what they did to The Chipmunks.

Also, hmm, was this written by a bitter Henson fan, perhaps? ;)
  20. MarieIsabella

MarieIsabella Member

I think it was very funny, My favorite parts when the mystics sing. I really hope they don't really do a modern spin on it though! There are enough fantasy movies coming out right now that it will have no problem showing interest.

It is great to know others feel the same about this taking forever to be released, and even thought its sad at the end, it might be true, maybe it taking so long because they feel it isn't living up to the standards Jim Henson set in the film.

:scary: