Dave Goelz

Wickiup

Reaction score
Dave Goelz and I were both post WWII babies and living with our respective parents in the same apartment house in Glendale, California. He used to smuggle me Oreos through the bars of our playpens. I was not supposed to have chocolate but greatly appreciated his efforts. He was always a very creative person. Later, he had a large collection of model cars he had built. He would tell you in great detail how he had modified the latest one. The craftsmanship was, as you would expect, near perfect.

Dave's Dad and Grandfather were also quite talented with thier hands so he came by this naturally. I loved getting to visit Dave's Grandfather up in the gold country of California. He had hand crafted wagons on shelves under glass on the walls. He used to tell me great stories about them and the people that used them. He also had many beautiful minerals and rocks on the wall. If you were a kid it was a wonderful treat to visit his Grand Dad. I think his Grandfather was the first Ford dealer in the gold country. I remember crying the day his Grandfather passed away.

Dave was capable of being quite a character as a youth and loved to play with kids. I can remember him making sound effects and voices from long ago. If only we'd known to record them! I am sure some of what he does today was already under development back then.

I have lost touch with him over the years. I wonder if he ever gives talks to film and video students about his career and his many crafts? If so, SFCC in Santa Fe, New Mexico might be a nice place to do that sometime if circumstances permitted.

Ed Scott

Frogster

Reaction score
Wow, you are very lucky to have known him. You must be proud of what he's become. Have you and Dave talked about Jim Henson?