David Pannabecker's Video

Whispers

Reaction score
I was just wondering how helpful is David Pannabecker's video on Puppet Construction? I'm very tempted to buy it but would love to hear from those who own a copy how great it is ;]

Teenager's

Reaction score
They are definitely more if you have one of the patterns and follow along. If you don't it's fine, because he shows some nice techniques.....but I think it would be better if you had the pattern as well.......because it keeps you occupied while he talks and you get to feel & experience the materials he uses. His voice is kind of dry....and he rambles through techniques a bit

Jinx

Reaction score
I agree that using them with a pattern, or even better a kit, is the best way to experience it. That is how I built my first "Arm's Length" puppet. I did use the video for reference on subsequent puppets, even though they used very different patterns. The techniques are definitely worthwhile.

I also really like the Grey Seal book/video combo.

Ultimately I find that studying many peoples' techniques and using the ones that best fit my skill set nets the best results. As wonderful as they all are individually, collectively they're even better!

Teenager's

Reaction score
What's the Grey Seal video like.......is more informative than the book? or just about the same?

I'd like to hear about the Dave Privett video....I'd like to see how he does patterns etc...but I never have the money to spend on his video. Has anyone got it?

Jinx

Reaction score
The Grey Seal video is very much like the book. By the nature of the medium, it does make some of the concepts easier to grasp. For me personally, the video was great for learning, and the book is very handy to have for reference while actually building a puppet.

The Dave Privett video is great too. The pattern-making is really quite ingenious and very thorough. I'd call it a must-have for people who really know what the puppet must look like in advance, and are able to sketch those ideas. (As opposed, say, to the "Nip and Tuck" method from Grey Seal, which is more free-form.) It's not going to be a fast way to make a puppet, but it certainly is going to be accurate!

Really I like all three. Each has its own uniqueness, and they all reinforce one another too. Obviously there is going to be an amount of overlap in a few concepts, but even then each has its own take on technique. They'll only make you a better builder.

Whispers

Reaction score
@Teenagers I'm definitely planning on buying a kit as well! Going to save up! 8D

@Jinx I like your view on it and hopefully I'll be able to check out Dave Privett's video as well although it is pricey but I'm sure it's well worth the information!