Dealing with depression and anxiety

Drtooth

Reaction score
I realize that what made my life horrible 20 friggin years ago is never going to go away and there's no way for me to deal with it.

I'm honestly sick of having to deal with anything, and I'm sure some of you have some nice little platitudes to try and cheer me up. Please keep them to yourselves.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I realize that what made my life horrible 20 friggin years ago is never going to go away and there's no way for me to deal with it.

I'm honestly sick of having to deal with anything, and I'm sure some of you have some nice little platitudes to try and cheer me up. Please keep them to yourselves.
I hope you can feel better soon. Depression and anxiety stink and it's hard to deal with them.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Ditto.

As for me, the internship I recently told I got seems to be a no-go for now. The hiring manger simply won't get back to me. I get it - he's running a business, and bringing in some young kid for unpaid work isn't exactly high on his list. But if I don't do the internship, I don't graduate. Around mid-afternoon, a sea of depression suddenly hit me, and I took a three hour nap in response. All I can do now is try to keep my mind on more positive things until I get some kind of a reply.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If you're an unpaid intern, I'm afraid moving up in the ranks isn't going to happen for you anytime soon. I've been an intern before, and I was pretty much stuck in the position for a couple of years with no advancement whatsoever - even when I asked about the possibility of moving up (and maybe even getting paid), I was just laughed at, as if they thought I was joking.

If you ask me, internships are essentially like after school programs without necessarily being done for school: you gain experience, but that's about it - you don't advance, you don't move up, and you don't get paid.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
If you're an unpaid intern, I'm afraid moving up in the ranks isn't going to happen for you anytime soon. I've been an intern before, and I was pretty much stuck in the position for a couple of years with no advancement whatsoever - even when I asked about the possibility of moving up (and maybe even getting paid), I was just laughed at, as if they thought I was joking.

If you ask me, internships are essentially like after school programs without necessarily being done for school: you gain experience, but that's about it - you don't advance, you don't move up, and you don't get paid.
Yeah, I understand that. But I'll be lucky if they even keep me around for anything after the semester ends. Assuming they don't go back on their word to bring me in, that is.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score

Some people have TRIED to show some genuine compassion for you, not just paying token lip service.
Easiest thing to give up.
Easiest thing to throw a pity party.
Easiest thing to be miserable all the time.

Do you think you're the only one that had to deal with crap?
There have been some trying (however futile) toTRY to reach out.
You might be right about a lot of things.
But if you ever think you're doing yourself a favor keeping yourself isolated in your own misery, you can't be more wrong.

Now I'll take my cheery little platitudes somewhere else. Good night.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
and I'm sure some of you have some nice little platitudes to try and cheer me up. Please keep them to yourselves.
Sorry man, you picked the wrong forum if you don't want us to try and help. I honestly don't really know what to say, but as soon as I saw your post I knew I wanted to say something. Just, please go out and get some help. Talk to anyone you can. That might seem pretty obvious and might not be much help, but still, I want you to get better. I know we don't personally know each other and i'll never fully comprehend what your going through, but I also know that I was pretty depressed for a while, but things got better. Things can always get better, no matter what situation your in. Just stay strong and take the first step.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
What Pig's Laundry said. As usual, someone else is able to say what I want to say, only more effectively - I'm not very good at executing those running thoughts in my head.

Drtooth, I know depression and anxiety aren't easy to deal with, and that stubbornness and/or hopeless feelings within don't make us want to seek help. But if I had never reached out, I seriously don't know where I'd be right now.

And I have a feeling that you really wanted somebody to say something. Why else would you have posted here?

Sorry things are tough for you, though. But things can - and will - get better.

--------------------------------------------

The hiring manager got back to me a few hours ago, and we're set to meet later this week. As usual, I made a big deal out of nothing.

Embrace the imperfections, Mo. Embrace the imperfections.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't realize why you're so offended by that. It's not that I don't want anyone trying to reach out, I do appreciate that. Very much so.

I have too many problems to deal with and no one wants to give me any direct help. I cannot blame any of you, mind you. I'm referring to people much closer to me who have given me nothing but advice that didn't go anywhere and weren't in the position to give me actual help. And I mean physical help. Really sticking their necks out for me. No. Just "Go to website" "Go to website" only to hear absolutely nothing for years at a time. So I try things out on my own, and no one looks at them. Fine.

I was kinda okay with being that one guy who everything is a constant struggle. I'm fine with the fact that no matter what application to whatever place I've applied to goes straight in the trash the second I leave the store, only for them to hire their drinking buddies what held their hair back when they were barfing up their Jagermeister.

It's just...

When sh** happens to you in middle and high school, it sure as sh** should die like a bad internet meme and not hang around 20 ******g years later. I'm in my freaking mid-30's. Nothing's going right, I can handle. Bringing me back to the worst time in my life for a cheap drive by drunken joke? What's the point?

I can stand being a little angry, I can stand being completely frustrated. I can't take, however, every negative emotion lurking around the corner. Especially when it comes to the immaturity of Axe Spray huffing, Moutain Dew swilling buttcracks who want a cheap laugh at the expense of someone who, I'll admit it, life took a huge dump on.

Still, if you feel like I'm dumping on you for giving me the standard "it gets betters," or "I hope you feel better soons," or the like, I'm not. I'm just saying I know you'll try and I really appreciate it. But in the end, there are things I have to deal with, yet... the last straw was a good thousand tons of straw ago. It's not so much the depression has won so much as its a sore winner playing an arcade game that just looped the 999999999 score that the machine can display furiously.