Decline of entertainment?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Making a Smurfs movie is only being made to make a quick buck, much to the craze of the revival of Alvin and the Chipmunks craze. But hey, movie studios are in the business to make money, so I can't say I blame them, even if it is a quick buck. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Chipmunk movie is to blame. The Smurf movie revival was in production for years before the Chipmunk movie, but it got stalled in paramount, and Sony somehow bought it up and planned to make another Chipmunks movie with it.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Moving right along (no pun intended :embarrassed::smile:), if anybody is a fan of the 1985 horror/comedy film "Fright Night", someone is remaking it. Boo.........

Which begs the question in the Decline of entertainment thread, what's with all the remakes? Are studios that desperate to make a quick buck that they'll remake anything that was good? What's the point, other than money.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Moving right along (no pun intended :embarrassed::smile:), if anybody is a fan of the 1985 horror/comedy film "Fright Night", someone is remaking it. Boo.........

Which begs the question in the Decline of entertainment thread, what's with all the remakes? Are studios that desperate to make a quick buck that they'll remake anything that was good? What's the point, other than money.
Studios are, of course, in the bussiness of making money. The problem is, that for the most part, it's hard to get anything original off the ground. Why not just make some remakes that people will see, since a lot of stuff that's original a lot of people usually pan as being "artsy-fartsy."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Horror movies are a write off. They seriously are. They all rip each other off, so making remakes was the natural thing to do. They're basically just junk dumb jocks take their girlfriends to so they can scream and hug the first person next to them, more or less, said jock. I once said, there's SOMETHING about that arrangement that doesn't settle me, but I won't go into it here.

But its basically just off the cuff garbage that's high on quick cuts and fake blood and low on any sort of quality. Still our number one genre. It's like the modern day equivalent to those bad 1950's movies that MST3K would make fun of... but so dumb, they don't even have the watch it to make fun of it factor.

Now, Night of the Living Dead... THAT was a horror movie. Saw? I hate Saw.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I find modern horror movies to be really really dumb.

30 Days of night, considered the scariest vampire movie ever by some people, actually put me to sleep. I barely made it all the way through the movie. As soon as those credits rolled, I was out XD

But then there are horror movies that are so un scary that they are funny. I laughed all the way through Final Destination 3, but then again, I laugh at all slasher/"dead teenager" movies :stick_out_tongue: However, just because I find them funny, doesnt always mean that I liked it

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I thought the last Final Destination movie was laughable and bad. Horror movies in general today aren't that good and a lot use blood and gore to try to make it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But then there are horror movies that are so un scary that they are funny. I laughed all the way through Final Destination 3, but then again, I laugh at all slasher/"dead teenager" movies :stick_out_tongue: However, just because I find them funny, doesnt always mean that I liked it
Teenage slasher flicks are the WORST! I don't even say in a by the numbers way. No wonder they have to remake old 1980's teen slasher flicks. I have to commend them on that refreshing honesty. At least they aren't basically making the same film under a different title.

Horror, like comedy, is hard to accomplish. It requires impeccable timing, and it also requires a certain amount of finesse. A bad joke keeps going on long after the punchline, and adding things that actually subtract from it. A lot of these film makers think that horror films HAVE to be like Happy Tree Friends without the funny music. Just carnage that goes on and on and on. That's disgusting and disturbing, but not scary. Night of the Living Dead was the only film that truly terrified me because it looked so REAL. It was so low budget that it actually felt like it was happening. And the movie wasn't even just about horror. They were making statements.

All Teenage Slasher films are
  • Someone mentions that something terrible happened decades ago that very night or something, and everyone ignores it as superstition
  • Random PG-13 sex.... then the villain kills one of them just after
  • repeat step 2 until movie's over.

Not terrifying... bordering on snuff films.