Del Monte

Cherrymoon

Reaction score
Del Monte® vegetables featuring Sesame Street characters will be offered in specialty four-packs of each variety in grocery stores, and, eight and twelve-packs in select club retailers. The product packaging will feature one of the three Sesame Street characters – Elmo with Green Beans, Grover with Sweet Peas and Cookie Monster with Corn – along with on-pack coloring activities developed by Sesame Workshop.

Should be in stores September.

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/aboutus/inside_press.php?contentId=16467280

ISNorden

Reaction score
I know that Sesame Street is trying to push healthy food and exercise a lot these days, but putting Cookie Monster on a can of veggies is going waaaay too far: that's about as illogical as Oscar the Grouch's picture appearing on soap. :crazy:

Cherrymoon

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
I know that Sesame Street is trying to push healthy food and exercise a lot these days, but putting Cookie Monster on a can of veggies is going waaaay too far: that's about as illogical as Oscar the Grouch's picture appearing on soap. :crazy:
I hear you but what if the soap was green and or better yet a green shampoo. Ok maybe not. I think Oscar could go on that green ketchup. Yuck.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Sheesh, the people at Sesame Workshop are turning every character (well, every major character) into a diet-and-exercise spokesperson these days. I feel a parody song coming on: "Nutrition Is A Sometimes Theme"! ;-)

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not as bad as them appearing on apple sauce and 100% pure juice drinks. Though Grover grape may have killed sales... kids and red grape jucie aren't a good mix, I gather. They made it white grape juice... but white vs. red... red grape is the one I fel is better tasting.

It's funny... even the junk food SS is associated with (not counting unlicensed frosting renderings in cakes, cookies, and whoopie pies at local supermarkets) has to be healthy on some level. I don't think it's necissarily a bad thing. Though Cookie is a bizzare choice for corn. Big Bird would have been perfect, since birds peck at dried corn... and of course, they're both yellow.

I mean, I do think they are pushing it on the series, but outside of the show can't hurt too much.

exelis

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
Sheesh, the people at Sesame Workshop are turning every character (well, every major character) into a diet-and-exercise spokesperson these days. I feel a parody song coming on: "Nutrition Is A Sometimes Theme"! ;-)
You can thank our excellent commander in chief and his cronies for that one. Even the classics have to change in order to get funding from the All Children Left Behind program. Unfortunately, Sesame has apparently adopted it not only for funding, but believing it's actually a good idea.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I think it may not be such a bad idea. I do think Bigbird would have been a better choice for corn, but after all, Cookie Monster did have his Healthy Foods Rap...

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Big Bird atcually played an ear of corn in one of Prarie Dawn's play. His feathers were the kernels and he wore a giant green corn husk.

I think having SS characters promoting healthy food is a good thing. The obesity problem does exist, even though it is exagerated, and if kids start from a young age of how to be healthy then it may curve the growing waistlines.

They can do better ways to promote it though. But Cookie Monster for corn? That doesn't even make sense.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I saw Cookie Monster on some straw barries the other day.