Denny's Commercials

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Kudos to Eric!

Not only do I think Eric is doing a great job as Piggy - I believe he does it better than Frank himself these days. I agree that Oz's voice has been deepening to disturbing proportions in the past decade and Eric's Piggy brings her back to her classic slightly higer pitch. And Frank's Piggy has had little or no charisma with Kermit since Steve took over the role. A side effect of the dubbing and that I guess they didn't have the same relationship that he had with Jim.

I don't understand people saying their friends can tell, because many people have informed me of the commercials and haven't noticed a difference.

radionate

Reaction score
Re: Kudos to Eric!

I can only imagine how hard it would be for Frank to have any kind of chemistry doing Piggy with Steve as Kermit. Steve is great, and I imagine it was very difficult for him to step into those flippers, but Frank lost a very important person in his life, and those emotions are obviously still very raw. I don't think the dubbing situation would help either, but to breath life into this relationship again, I think this is a move in the right direction.

Now, I've only heard the Denny's commercial once, but I could notice, just barely, that there was a difference in the Piggy. But thats a gift of mine. I've always been able to identify voices. I guess growing up glued in front of cartoons and animated movies, plus being around radio for awhile now, have helped out I'm sure, but its still pretty darn close if you ask me.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think they should have made the change a while ago - pre Tresure Island - simply because of Frank's focus on other projects. He just didn't seem to have the same joy as he had in the 80s. And hey, he's had the same job his entire life. He deserves to move on, but it was at the expense of his characters. I don't think replacing him deminishes his work- - it is more of a tribute to his legacy in my opinion. I just hope they keep the voice consistent now. Frank can always direct the Muppets if he ever wants to. He knows them better than any other director out there! I doubt if he'd want to though.

radionate

Reaction score
One of the best quotes I've ever heard about Frank came from Steve Martin on the set of Bowfinger. He was talking about Frank's sense of comic timing. Appearently people were disagreeing about the timing of something, after it worked out and Frank was right, Steve was quoted as saying that it worked because he learned his comic timing as, "he was a Muppet!" I'm paraphrasing and cleaning it up, but you get the jist.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LOL! Well they both have great timing. I really think the Brando incident solidified Frank's quazi-retirement. I suspect he's completely retiring without making the announcement. I just hope there isn't one Piggy voice for the new shows and another for any films that are made.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
LOL! Well they both have great timing. I really think the Brando incident solidified Frank's quazi-retirement. I suspect he's completely retiring without making the announcement. I just hope there isn't one Piggy voice for the new shows and another for any films that are made.
I doubt JHC, or anyone who buys them, would allow Piggy to have two "voices" for spots that were longer then a few seconds. That would be tacky. But I fear that hes retirement is offical as well, and the new announcement will be made in the coming months. SOB!!!!!

I also think the Brando stink was blown out of proportion. I have a hunch that Frank wasn't as worried about the stigma of being a Muppet, as much as he was getting the senile cantankerous old man to finish his scenes without chocking on a ham sandwich. (I know I know, I'm being mean, but I've lost most of the little respect I've had for Marlin Brando over the years.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think that an announcement hasn't been made so far because Frank doesn't want to be in the limelight. Much more of a behind the scenes guy.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I think the Piggy voice in the commercials is great! Yes, you can somewhat tell it's not Frank but it's still Piggy.

These commercials are great but I find Piggy ordering three Grand Slams which include bacon and sausage really quite disturbing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well it does support the new Muppet canibalism with Pepe pushing LJS a few months ago. What's next, Big Bird pushing KFC? LOL! Seriously, I've had my doubts about these commercials, but people seem to like them and they're very tastefully done - no pun intended. :smile:

W

Wembley Fraggle

Hey Guys,

I was watching Whose Line is it Anyway on ABC Family and a NEW Denny's commercail was on, er atleast I think it's new. This one had the two old men who heckle the Muppets all the time. It's embarrising i don't even know their names LOL. Anyways heres the commercail's script:

(Both Statler & Waldorf are sitting in a booth reading menus)

Statler: Did you know for the 25th anniversary of the Denny's Grand Slam breakfast you can get em' 7 days a week for just $2.99?

Waldorf: Thats a problem.

Statler: Why?

Waldorf: It's a deal so good even we cant complain!

(They booth laugh)

-END-

I found out their names too lol. It's very short. And you can obviously tell both David Goelz and Jerry Nelson did their voices.

-Josh