Determine Where Your Dialect Comes From

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
According to this test, one city my dialect likely comes from is Rochester, NY (not actually too far from my birthplace of Buffalo). Others are Tacoma, WA, and Madison, WI.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like my variety of English is similar to that of the rest of the southwest, particularly Stockton and Modesto, CA.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Just about nailed it. Got New York/Newark/Paterson. Pretty neat.

The sandwich went through a number of changes in my lifetime. When I was little, it was definitely hero. Then in the late 70's-80's it became hoagie. Now it's universally sub.

Snowthy, you'd appreciate this. When I was little, we had a sandwich shop in our town called Hogan's Heroes, but went out of business when hoagie crept in. I guess Hogan's Hoagies wouldn't have lasted.

There are still a few hero holdouts in New York, but they seem to be a dying breed. The test didn't seem to include "grinder" which is a Boston deal.
Thanks for bringing this test up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Snowthy, you'd appreciate this. When I was little, we had a sandwich shop in our town called Hogan's Heroes
Haha! I can see the promos on TV...

HOGAN: Hi, I'm Colonel Robert Hogan!
SCHULTZ: And I am Sergeant Hans Schultz!
HOGAN: We'd like to invite you to come on down to Hogan's Heroes!
SCHULTZ: Our sandwiches are built upon quantity, and also quality!
HOGAN: And I'm the quality!
SCHULTZ: Why am I the quantity?
HOGAN: Are you kidding?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I guess this quiz is pretty reliable, my Dad just took it and got identical results to mine, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this thing was supposed to be accurate or not, I thought it was interesting that the first I heard of it, a friend of mine from Kansas got results saying her dialect comes from Boston, Providence, places like that.

But yeah, as I said, my results were pretty much spot on.

Teheheman

Reaction score
First of all, I have a Drive-Thru Liquor store right by my house. Secondly, I did this and it says that I'm from Arizona.............I'm actually not, I'm from Cincinnati.

Daniel