Did Jim Henson stay in touch with guest stars?

Minstrel Murray

Reaction score
I guess I'm not really expecting anyone to have the answer to this. The reason I bring it up is because I was at an auction yesterday where they were selling a copy of "Of Muppets and Men" that had been given to Lola Falana for Christmas in 1981, and it was inscribed by Jim Henson. It also came with a Christmas card that was similarly signed. (For those interested, it sold for $2000!) You can see it here:

http://www.icollector.com/Of-Muppet-and-Men-Signed-Jim-Henson-Book_i11613384

And earlier this year I was able to acquire a group of Muppet items from the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans Musuem, which included a book that was signed and given to Dale for her birthday in 1983.

Has anyone seen any other examples?

DannyRWW

Reaction score
hmmm... I got an autographed picture by Steve Whitmire and it amazes me the effort they made to keep Kermits autograph looking the same....anyways back on topic. I think from what I've read that Jim kept in touch with many of them...some more than others. It seems like some people like Harry Belafonte became friends with Jim while (or in some cases) before working on the show. There are also some guest stars that kept working with the Muppets on more than one project like John Denver or Julie Andrews. I would guess some of them didn't let the Muppet people get too close.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've seen a picture (I think on the wiki) of an autographed Of Muppets and Men that was given to Buddy Rich.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Makes you wonder were these people that were friends of Jim's.... or fans :smile: Maybe both

Puckrox

Reaction score
I had a Muppet marathon a couple days ago and realized that Peter Ustinov has a cameo in Great Muppet Caper, and the only reason I realized this was because I had watched his TMS episode literally a couple hours beforehand. Since that TMS episode filmed in 1976 and GMC filmed in 1985, I think it's fair to say those two kept in touch. :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I think that Steve Martin not only became friends with Jim but mostly Frank Oz.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
jim henson certanly kept in touch with john denver he was in quite a lot of muppet specials

Princeton

Reaction score
Since that TMS episode filmed in 1976 and GMC filmed in 1985, I think it's fair to say those two kept in touch. :smile:
I believe GMC was released in 1981, so it was probably filmed the year before.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I believe GMC was released in 1981, so it was probably filmed the year before.
It totally was done in 1981. I think I tacked the 5 on at the end because it's five years between 1976 and 1981... yeah, my brain works in funny ways soemtiems. :stick_out_tongue:

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I think that's awesome that Jim would keep up with past Muppet Show guests. I kinda figured he would have anyway because he was such a nice and down to earth guy. Those signed books are really great! I would love to have one signed! :smile: