Dinosaur Puppet Teeth/Horns?

yetiman

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm making two dinosaur puppets (a T-Rex and a triceratops) for my cousins, ages 5 and 7, for Christmas. Does anyone have any ideas for making teeth and/or horns? I'm worried about them being foam, since then they'd be bendable. Maybe there's some material I could put on them (like a plastic dip)? Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Plasti-dip over foam works, so does Sculpt-or-Coat (Google it). Another option would be to make the teeth out of cosmetic sponges, L200 Foam (more or less what cosmetic sponges are made from) or Model Magic.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
It also depends on how many and how big of a puppet your talking about. If you're making something that's large or needs multiple light weight horns and teeth, you could sculpt one horn and or tooth, make a mold, and then make as many duplicates as you want. You could make a mold out of flexible rubber or silicoln and then cast in resin. Or, make a plaster mold and do castings in neoprene, a kind of rubber, which will yeild a hollow yet durable rubber shell.

muppetinsider

Reaction score
I would say definitely use foam and paint some liquid latex over it. Get a hair dryer and heat it up a bit to dry it. Then use an acrylic paint and do a dry-bush technique to color it to your preference.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Try Sculpey or Fimo :smile:
Both products are Polymer Clay- you sculpt then cook to harded. To fasten You can build the horns with a little "nib" part that you can used a backing.

To make it easier, just build the horn onto an existing doll eye, or nose. Bake, then attach the new horn like you would if it was an eye :smile:...I hope I'm explaining it well...I'm kinda tired...long day at work LOL

Oh, I would recommend sculpting the bulk of it in tin foil and then cover it with polymer- this will allow for even "cooking" and the end result won't weigh a zillion pounds :smile:

yetiman

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for your help! I think I'm going to try the plasti-dip. I have some Sculpey as a backup, though! I'll post some photos when I'm closer to being done.