Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yet, no matter how hard the fans would jump on him, with every release they would just get worse. I don't know what made Lucas turn to the dark side, but he was clearly on a mission to destroy a marvelous masterpiece again and again.
Lucas was clearly in his own little world. He knew the fans were upset, he just didn't care. On the one hand, at least he was protective of his artistic integrity. On the other hand, it was the wrong kind of artistic integrity. Many creative types have that thing that they say they'd go back and redo or fix, but rarely do they actually do that. Lucas showed why they shouldn't. That's what happens to old directors. They go from energetic young go getters to fuddy duddy perfectionists. Some of them pile money into head up their butt vanity projects (cough cough Hugo cough cough), Lucas screwed around with his old movies. And yet, didn't go back and make Howard the Duck less terrible.

Plus it feels like they're still being influenced by the prequels. First with the looks of the lead actress. And then a villain with a weird, "bad ***" new light saber? Can we say Darth Maul?
Yeah, but Darth Maul was essentially the only good thing about Episode one. Even detractors of those films tend to like him, if not outright praising him. Had Episode one focused more on Obi and Qui Gon fighting Maul instead of getting bogged down in trade agreements and diplomacy, building the world of alien races you never see again nor would want to, and Nas-Pod racing, the film could have at least been a nice pop corn flick.

I'm not going into the film thinking it's the greatest thing that will ever happen, nor am I going to be one of those dour "yeah, well we were excited for Phantom Menace, and look how that turned out" guys just waiting for ways to hate this new film. And, yes, the film trailer looks like a standard action trailer because it's a trailer. Did anyone go into "Captain America: Winter Soldier" thinking it would be a political thriller with action moments? Did anyone expect Ant-Man to deliver commentary on what prisoners look forward to when they get released (no company will hire them, luring them back into crime as the only way to make ends meet) or the fact it was actually a heist movie? No. Because action trailers show action just as kid movie trailers show every instance of farting out of context. And in the end, if this is just a generic action flick, it's still better than what we got out of Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I at least found Revenge of the Sith entertaining.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And, yes, the film trailer looks like a standard action trailer because it's a trailer. Did anyone go into "Captain America: Winter Soldier" thinking it would be a political thriller with action moments?
You're right about trailers often being designed to give off that impression.

(Though personally I still see Winter Soldier as an action movie first. A good one, but one that I'd never compare to a 70s political thriller.)

Lourenzo

Reaction score
Yet, no matter how hard the fans would jump on him, with every release they would just get worse. I don't know what made Lucas turn to the dark side, but he was clearly on a mission to destroy a marvelous masterpiece again and again.
I think youre being melodramatic

Status
Not open for further replies.