Disney, Verizon unveil FiOS TV line-up

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Disney, Verizon unveil FiOS TV line-up

3/10/06

Statler and Waldorf, the Muppets' surly balcony-ensconced critics, are getting the chance to vent their spleens once again as Disney and Verizon unveil the first fruits on their broadband TV partnership.

Disney, which took ownership of the Muppets franchise in 2004, joined forces with Verizon last September to develop video-on-demand and other content for the US telco's new FiOS TV service and the pair have now revealed the results.

Verizon is launching a raft of archive and specially tailored Disney content spanning the Mouse's children's programming, ABC News, ESPN sports and Buena Vista movies.

A comprehensive video archive of Statler and Waldorf's pearls of wisdom is just one element of the wide-ranging content being served up to Verizon's online customers and via its fibre optic-based FiOS TV service.

ABC News Now is a 24/7 news channel, delivering live breaking news and an array of current affairs programming. Disney Connection is child-friendly, ad-free, interactive environment for kids of all ages featuring videos, games and activities.

ESPN360, meanwhile, is the sports networks' broadband service, featuring exclusive and live programming, behind-the-scenes coverage and in-depth commentator analysis.

Movies.com Max is a new service of movie-related information and entertainment channel specifically programmed for broadband audiences, which is available for the first time through Verizon. It is within this that Statler and Waldorf feature, alongside exclusive video reviews of DVDs and films from Ebert and Roeper.

Verizon's FiOS TV customers are also gaining access to more than 80 hours per month of free on-demand titles from Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Radio Disney, Jetix, ABC News, ABC Family, SOAPnet, ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPNU.

Disney is using FiOS to premiere new episodes of TV series including The Emperor's New School and Little Einsteins as well as original movies from Disney Channel, Jetix and Playhouse Disney.

New-release movies from Buena Vista Pay Television complete the line-up, costing US$3.95 each on demand, with classics such as Dumbo and Alice In Wonderland being added soon for US$2.95 a punt.

"The Walt Disney Company is committed to making our content available to consumers however and wherever they want it," said Ben Pyne, president of Disney and ESPN Networks Affiliate sales and marketing.

"As broadband continues to grow, it's critical for us to offer our top properties to those turning to the internet and video-on-demand for a quality entertainment experience."

Jonathan Webdale
24 Feb 2006
© C21 Media 2006

....... Good news for us Muppet Fans! :wink:

Marky

Reaction score
Is this only available in the US?

EasyBeinGreen

Reaction score
Marky said:
No sense in being sad, from what I gather the only Muppety goodness that will be available is the From the Balcony bits which we all already have access to.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Marky

Reaction score
EasyBeinGreen said:
No sense in being sad, from what I gather the only Muppety goodness that will be available is the From the Balcony bits which we all already have access to.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)
...:smile: And they're phonies anyways!

EasyBeinGreen

Reaction score
Marky said:
...:smile: And they're phonies anyways!
well... while this may be partially true I think that debate is better left for another thread.

Marky

Reaction score
EasyBeinGreen said:
well... while this may be partially true I think that debate is better left for another thread.
Well it's good that they're going to gett better exposure, anyways. Phopnies or not, at this stage of the game, the more, the merrier I say!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
so wait this confuses me....is this going to be on tv or some dumb cell phone thing?:confused:

EasyBeinGreen

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
so wait this confuses me....is this going to be on tv or some dumb cell phone thing?:confused:
Neither, from my understanding of it, it is going to give broadband users the ability to watch tv shows, sports and news programs online.