Disney's "Rapunzel" sexist rename?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I recall it being a play or opera or something about a shepard. It was years before I heard what it was from... but Hamlet certainly has some parallels. 'Cept Simba doesn't marry his mother at the end.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I'm saying there's a limitless source of their own characters, and I think an actual theatrical release would suit them well.
Yes, I say it's about time Mickey Mouse got his own movie. I mean, the most populay cartoon character in history, he's been in the business for some eighty years... and he's never had his own movie?

Mupp

Reaction score
Yes, I say it's about time Mickey Mouse got his own movie. I mean, the most populay cartoon character in history, he's been in the business for some eighty years... and he's never had his own movie?
Well, he has been in some movies, like "The Prince and the Pauper" and the direct to DVD "The Three Musketeers" but yes, I do know what you are saying. :smile: That would be a great idea.

But who knows? That just might happen someday. At this point I'd say that almost anything is possible.
Generally speaking, things are currently going pretty well for Disney. The management is better than it used to be under the Eisner era, and things are currently looking well for the Muppets.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Personally, I am just glad to see Disney finally do a movie on Rapunzel. They have done every other fairytale princess' story, and this actually first crossed my mind while watching Shrek the Third. Rapunzel wa the only princess in that movie that Disney hadn't tackled yet. So call the new movie whatever you want, I'm just happy that they got around to it finally, and my 3 year old daughter is excited to see it too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, I gotta stress... why the heck can't Disney just come up with their OWN fairy tale? That's the reason why it took so long to have an African American princess... the stories are mostly from Europe. They can still have a princess, make it whatever diverse ethnic group they want, and just make their own story up. Not like they're all that close to the originals to begin with. It's like, no wonder they made Pocahontas, they were running out of Princesses that were proactive and think for themselves.

Of course, then there was the Atlantic thing, which they accidentally borrowed from the Japanese series "Secret of the Blue Water" (or something like that)... but I'm sure they could invent one all their own.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Yes, but DrTooth, consider this...how many original stories has Disney actually done? Little Mermaid is a Hans Christen Andersen story, Snow White is the Grimm Brothers, and so on. Disney very rarely writes their own stories...heck, even the one EVERYBOD loves, The Lion King is based on an African folktale.
Pixar is the group coming up with original stories, but what I am wondering is after a slew of white princesses, an Asian, an African American, a Native American and a half fish princess...when are we going to get a Hispanic princess? (And if anyone tries to tell me that Chloe from Beverly Hills Chihuahua is the answer, my faith in humanity is dead).

Drtooth

Reaction score
They have done originals before. Unfortunately, those ones never really do all that well. Home on The Range and Brother Bear are their worst examples (though Brother Bear is leaps and bounds better than Pocahontas as far as Native American legend has gone). Emperor's New Groove was original... so original that they tinkered with the original idea. And somehow, they treated it like crap because of it... and I'm sorry. The original concept doesn't exactly sound half as appealing to me.

But let's not forget Lilo and Stitch. Disney's biggest original story success. So successful it lead to 3 DTV sequals (2 relating to the TV show) and oddest of the odd a localized Japanese TV version. Plus, the Disney CGI originals have done fairly well. not great, but Bolt did good enough for itself.

I stated it a while back, but Disney took flack from making "princess movies" and then when they moved to other things, they took flack for NOT making Princess movies. If they can just create another original with the same witty writing and style of movies like Bolt and (better yet) Lilo and Stitch, they could do it.