Disturbing Page on Tough Pigs Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
::shrugs:: I love the commentaries on Tough Pigs, they're hilarious. And often quite on target. You can tell they really like these specials.

Censored

Reaction score
heralde said:
::shrugs:: I love the commentaries on Tough Pigs, they're hilarious. And often quite on target. You can tell they really like these specials.

I don't know. The kind of things on that page seem to cheapen those specials to me. Regular irreverence aside though, what is the deal with those comments about Jewish people?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think one of the guys doing the commentary is Jewish (I believe he says that somewhere). And they were pointing out that Mr. Hooper was the one who ended up saving the day in the Christmas special. So they were actually being complimentary. Their humor is a bit sarcastic, but I don't think it's meant to be offensive. Believe me, I wouldn't read it if I thought it was. There is a fine line between irreverent and offensive.

Of course, you would have to ask them what their motivation was. I really can't comment any more than this. I don't want to start a debate.

A lot of people enjoy tearing apart something they like in a good natured way. If you look at the whole site, the moderator who does the commentaries knows A LOT about the Muppets. Not everyone is going to find the humor funny of course, and that's fine. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ha! Thanks for the link GeeBee! And I confess that I don't find that page disturbing in the slightest, just very, very, very funny. I can sit and chuckle my way through many a TP review, but only because I know that ultimatly, they arn't mocking the production, they are revelling in it.

Kynan: Christmas, my friend, is for the fun. It's for the cuteness, it's for the silliness, it's for Cookie Monster eating telephones and typewriters. And, ultimately, it's for stuffing Snuffleupaguses into barrels, in the name of science.
The Jew jokes seemed a tad off, but it makes sense is Kynan is Jewish. Also, they are right in one sense that the one member of SS who doesn't technically celebrate Christmas is the saviour of Christmas...that's funny.

EDIT: This is from the Christmas Toy review:
Danny:
Aw, why didn't I get a Rugby doll for Christmas? Darn it, Santa! I've asked for a squeezy soft Rugby doll every year for more than a decade.

Kynan: J'ever think that Santa knows you're Jewish?

Danny: What, you think Santa's anti-Semitic? Bite your tongue. Santa has love for all children. It's the licensing people who screwed me on this one.
Which explains the jokes in the other review made by Danny himself.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I can sit and chuckle my way through many a TP review, but only because I know that ultimatly, they arn't mocking the production, they are revelling in it.
Exactly! They are mocking it with affection. I always laugh out loud when I read their stuff (which is why I usually read it when I'm alone!)

MWoO

Reaction score
It's called humor and irony. It's not like they said Mr. Hooper starts all the wars.

The reviews are like celebrity roasts. The jokes are harsh, but are done out of love, not hate. That's the main difference between a joke and hate speech.

Censored

Reaction score
It did cross my mind that one or both of them could be Jewish, so I wanted to find out more about it. However, I still find it disturbing because when someone logs onto that web page, the first thing they're going to see are the big comments about "a Jew" and the additional dialogue about Jewish people below, and that will probably stand out (which I'm sure is what it's meant to do). I get the idea that shock value and offensiveness is what they're going for every bit as much as humor, kind of like South Park, and they probably make no apologies. It's their humor and they can have it.

In any case, long live Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. It's probably one of the best Sesame Street and Christmas specials around and did a great job of saying that the holiday season is for everyone.

MWoO

Reaction score
You do know that "Jew" is not a slur right? Saying someone is a Jew is the same as saying someone is a Chrsitian or a Muslim. It's not even close to disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.