Do you have a dream?

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Although im still have a long way to go with puppet building and manipulation I saw an ad in the paper a few years ago advertising a full professional puppet stage plus puppets for $500 so we went along and had a look, it was a great theatre but not what I was looking for (it would be better to build a custom built one) The puppets that came with it certainly werent professional. It was a couple who did childrens parties and puppet shows at shopping centres to keep the kids occupied. They were really nice people although not professional puppeteers, they were only basically hand puppets. They were selling it as it was getting hard for them with the insurance, they had to be covered with very expensive insurance to cover themselves incase something happened causing someone to sue them, it wasnt worth them doing it anymore as they had to put their prices up so high.

This world is getting crazy with sueing, and copyright laws etc. What should be a simple puppet show at a childrens party even has to be very complicated now with insurance and legal stuff.

Phantom

Reaction score
I've considered building and ebaying, but I am by no means good enough to dream of anything but breaking even. Right now, I am working to become debt free . From there, we'll see what comes. I love puppets and I am passionate about the ministry I lead, but it would literally take an act of God for it to become a living. That goes to show who you are is not defined by what you do for a living.

Yahnke

Reaction score
Ya know, i started this thread because it seems puppeteers view pupeteering for the muppets or sesame street as the ultimate goal for any puppeteer. Now certainly, there is an amount fame that goes along with being known as a "muppeteer" It says a lot about your skill. Also, let's be honest, Jim Henson was the man who made puppets cool, otherwise we would be just adults playing with dolls. HOWEVER. BE YOURSELF. Puppets have so many practical uses. I put on a little skit for my daughter every night when i get home. The look on her face each day means more to me than a paycheck or fame. I really enjoy communicating the message of Jesus (my personal belief-please don't take offense), so i am working on creative ways to do that using puppets in my own sphere of influence. There are challenges, but i can see someone surrounding themself with dedicated puppeteers and making a "go of things" Now, that person might never reach the fame and accolades of Henson in the public's eye, but what about to individuals. An 8 year old who had the coolest birthday party ever because he had a puppet play at his party will esteem you higher than henson. Or imagine using puppets to pass on a message of eternal value. That is what i would love to do. I was just wondering if any of you were doing that.

I know buck is doing his own thing- and i praise him for it. Bear town is awesome! Puppet planet also is doing her own thing. THanks.
Please. Let me and all of us know if you are doing something creative with your puppets. OR if you have any cool dreams you want to do someday. I am interested in hearing them.

Iokitek

Reaction score
I don't think the world is ready for my religious messages yet. Actually I don't really like to tell people what to think. I'd rather have them think for themselves by showing them all sides of the story. Besides I wouldn't really want to use puppetry to convey religous messages. But rather just basic moral values. Ofcourse puppetry would be as good a tool for this as any.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I pursued being a puppeteer for a while with the hopes of working for Henson, but kind of went off the path in doing (like so many of you) freelance. I finally met someone who liked what I did and said he knew someone of importance on Sesame Street. "Yeah, right" I thought, but humored him and said I was interested. He actually set me up with an interview and told me to contact his friend, and at that exact moment, I realized that while that would be a great opportunity even if I didn't make it, it's not what I wanted to do. I ended up sending in a tape of selected performances but never heard back, and I'm really okay with it. However, I strongly urge all of you with hopes and dreams of doing this with a passion for your life's career to go out there and DO IT! We need fresh ideas and talent on a constant basis to keep our Muppet lives active and healthy.

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
For the past three years, I've been fortunate enough to make a living building and selling my puppets on Ebay >http://stores.ebay.com/PUPPETSNSTUFF-PUPPETS.
Had to come up with something to pay the bills, because an actor's life is feast and famine. It's worked out nicely so far (although it's sooooooo slow right before Christmas). We talked in an earlier thread about working for other companies besides HENSON, as puppeteers. If you're a puppet builder , building for a production, you can offer a package deal to your client, and have them hire you as a puppeteer for their project. I've done this several times. They're out there (other production companies who use puppets). You just need to do some research.
I wrote a little basic HOW TO START A PUPPET COMPANY article over at PUPPETPORT.COM . Here's the link, if it helps. Best of luck to all of you...Pauly > http://www.puppetport.com/start/index.cfm

Show and Tell

Reaction score
PaulyPuppets said:
I wrote a little basic HOW TO START A PUPPET COMPANY article over at PUPPETPORT.COM . Here's the link, if it helps. Best of luck to all of you...Pauly > http://www.puppetport.com/start/index.cfm

Very nice article. Great advise. My biggest problem has been coming up with a name. Sounds silly I know but a good company name is very important and can make a big difference in the quantity and quality of sales. Then theres coming up with the funds for a web designer and a site. Sheesh!:concern: for some reason the name for my team was very easy. It just came to me but I have been working on this puppet company name for 6 months and have not come up with anything I even remotely like.

beforemyway

Reaction score
I was GOING to be doing this with my friend, we had it all planed out, We'd be going to camps and performing threw the summer. We have our own charactures, and everyone who meets them loves them... We've been writing scripts together since we were in highschool, and when we perform together, we've always made an awesome team. Unfortunatlly my friend got a boy friend and so backed out *blank stare*

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
Very nice article. Great advise. My biggest problem has been coming up with a name. Sounds silly I know but a good company name is very important and can make a big difference in the quantity and quality of sales. Then theres coming up with the funds for a web designer and a site. Sheesh!:concern: for some reason the name for my team was very easy. It just came to me but I have been working on this puppet company name for 6 months and have not come up with anything I even remotely like.
Do what I did. Register your website name at www.register.com, for like $40 or so, every two years I think (but don't quote my figures), and they'll give you a free 3 page site, where you can sell your puppets. Here's mine> www.puppetsnstuff.com