Do you know any..?

That Announcer

Reaction score
luvtosr said:
Thankyou, thank you everyone! This stuff is like pure gold to me!

Y'know I think I learnt a song about John Henry when I was little. Good stuff.

((((((((((((((((((hugs to all))))))))))))))))))))
I've got some Newfoundland stuff coming along from my grandfather. He usually remembers lots of great folk tales and things, so I'm sure you'll like that. :smile:

luvtosr

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
I've got some Newfoundland stuff coming along from my grandfather. He usually remembers lots of great folk tales and things, so I'm sure you'll like that. :smile:
Excellent! I can't wait!
:big_grin:

Ernie101

Reaction score
RedDragon, I know that they are AMERICAN(since you love the caps :smile: ).

Well, luvtosr.. I'm glad you got your help. Sorry I could not be at more assistance.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
A friend of mine tells me she is related to Johnny Appleseed. :embarrassed: Wonder if that's possible.

Ernie101

Reaction score
I don't know Mrs. Pepper, but I think I heard somewhere that Johnny Appleseed has some truth in it. I'm not sure if that's possible though..It'd be interesting to know.

luvtosr

Reaction score
You'll find a lot of folkore and legends are based loosely on factual events/people, or they are designed to explain a regular occurrence though there are some that defy any explanation. It's just a case of sorting the wheat from the chaff, if that's what you want to do. Me, I'm just really interested in the whole scope of things like that.

Ernie101

Reaction score
It's also interesting to see how people from years ago thought up all these legends. also how they added onto these legends as they passed them down.

That Announcer

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
A friend of mine tells me she is related to Johnny Appleseed. :embarrassed: Wonder if that's possible.
I have a classmate that's descended from Captain Kidd. Awesome, huh?

And I do believe that there was a real Johnny Appleseed, and the common folktale regarding him is something like 70% true.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
RedDragon said:
Now, as for who they are. Paul was a gaint who was 15ft tall(or something like that). He was a lumber jack who could cut down an entire tree in one swing of his might axe. He is usually seen wearing a red plaid shirt and suspendered jeans. His best friend is a great blue ox named Babe. He and Babe apparently made many of america's landmarks, like the Great Lakes and the Rockys.
And Appleseed was a teenager who walked around this great land(a.k.a America) planting apple seeds and growing trees so people had food to eat. He is seen as wearing overalls and and cook pot(this is a hat, handle going back or to the side).
John Henry was a black man who battled against a machine to dig a train tunnel through the Rockys. John dug with just and mining hammer and spike. He won but died of a heart attack soon after.

I'm sure others can tell you more, this is just an overview.
Speaking of which, it so happens I have the songs about each of these three guys by the New Christy Minstrels. They're excellent, if anyone wants them just e-mail me. I have other great folklore songs by them as well.