Does a cold affect your performance?

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
Last night my friend and I performed a ten minute puppet show..just lip synch to a couple of songs..well during the performance my muscles from my elbow to my thumb became tense to where I could barely move my thumb...it was very painful and upsetting since that was not my best performance...anyways it was rather cold performing outside and I was wondering if that could have caused that to happen...since I have been practicing it does not make sense that my thumb would freeze..I just want to know so then maybe I could prepare someway for next year.Thanks.

-Sandee-

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I would suggest making sure that you warm up properly before the show; be sure to stretch your hands/arms/shoulders/back/etc. It's actually normal for your arm/hand/thumb so tense up after a few minutes if you have not developed enough muscle endurance and/or warmed up properly.

I hope that helps!

fishbone

Reaction score
i usually star warm ups at least a week in advance,just to gemy arms ready,i use the heaviest puppet have,but if it was just a last min.thing,,then i just streach &hold my arm in the air.hey, what songs did you sync to? :confused:

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
thanks for advice! I will make sure I warm next time.

-Sandee-

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Being sick will make you sore all over sometimes, and the medication can make you tired as well--quicker than normal.

I've also learned to take Muley's shoes off before I do anything with him being held in the air above my head for longer than 5 minutes, otherwise they get heavy.

Depending on what I'm about to do, I pop some pain medication (my choice is Advil--extra strength--and a diet pill, which makes me hyper and seems to make me more energetic. This isn't a healthy plan, but it works for me. Of course, when I keel over with a heart attack, you'll see why I said it's not healthy.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Depending on what I'm about to do, I pop some pain medication (my choice is Advil--extra strength--and a diet pill, which makes me hyper and seems to make me more energetic. This isn't a healthy plan, but it works for me. Of course, when I keel over with a heart attack, you'll see why I said it's not healthy.
Are you serious Foz? :eek:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Only slightly.

Advil and a diet pill. Of course, I'm spent afterwards--but, this is for those times when I'm pulling those 6 or 8 hour deals for the Ronald McDonald House events like RadioThon or something, or I'm doing a costume for a long period of time. Not for 45 minute puppet shows.

Now, I'm not encouraging others to do this, it just works for me for those long hauls.

I DO keep Muley up 95% of the time at the RadioThon and Leather Ball and other events, whether it's normal puppeteering (over the edge of the stage or wall) or if it's walking around with him and he's being held up beside me. You've all seen the pictures how I carry him by now at those events. Heck, Muley stays around longer at events than any other characters or mascots in the area! Even Ronald McDonald himself!

fishbone

Reaction score
:concern: yeah, i think losing the legs(if att. by pins) helps alot,if they're not in the shot,why use them? & if it's hot under the lights, holding your puppet up feels like holding a back pack full of rocks over your head. :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Legs are permanent, shoes are not.

Well, legs are supPOSED to be permanent. I remember one time I was at an event and was walking around with Muley, and we were stopped talking to a guy, and I let Muley jump around over something and his leg fell out of his overalls!! I let Muley look down at his felled leg and say, "Hmm. I gotta get in therapy--I'm falling apart."