Does anyone know where to get Muppet fur from?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Fur doesn't take dye very well, based on my experiences: before I was ever able to FINALLY obtain some nice charcoal gray shag fur for The Squirrely Squirrels' tails, I had gotten some white hairy fabric from JoAnn (which really isn't the best place for buying specialty fabrics, unlike some people here say) and tried to dye it, only for it to come out like a light silver color.

Though, if I were able to get some white Mongolian fur, and dye it purple, maybe it would turn out the lavender color appropriate for Steve, since I'm thinking it's time I rebuilt him altogether.

Slackbot

Reaction score
ACETATE dye, I said. Made for acetate materials like fake fur.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The more you know. And sorry if it looked like I was shouting at you.

I found out the hard way about how badly fake fur and Rit dye get along. My puppet Shonky is a poster child for that. However, I can still sometimes get Rit dye to work if I just need a color nudged slightly. The fur for my Boober and Sage puppets started out gray, and after dyeing them in a strong teal bath I ended up with a good blue-gray.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, your Fraggles are always great. :smile:

Interestingly enough, I've also had weird results with bleaching... way back when, I needed a bright blue turtleneck, and managed to find a decent navy one, and figured if I soaked it in a little bleach, the color would be bleached to a more satisfying shade of blue, only to find that the whole thing ended up turning into like a weird salmon color... hardly what I wanted... finally, I just had to make a turtleneck myself (because my wardrobe seamstress was too backed up with other work to get around to doing it, and I had deadlines to meet).

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Darn, try as I might, I can't find any Rowlf-like fur :frown: Some are close, but not quite right.
Anybody have any ideas?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since I finally know what the point to it is, apparently boiling regular shag or Mongolion fur will give the fur that kind of wooly-like texture that characters like Rowlf, Fozzie, and Fraggles have.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Since I finally know what the point to it is, apparently boiling regular shag or Mongolion fur will give the fur that kind of wooly-like texture that characters like Rowlf, Fozzie, and Fraggles have.
COOL!!!!! Thats great!!!! You are a superstar!!!! Many thanks D'Snowth!