Does prayer actually work?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
As someone who is not religious, I'm asking those who are if prayer actually works for them and why? Why does the power of prayer work?

*This topic brought to you by the term controversial. Controversial, where some opinions might not be welcomed!:big_grin::sympathy::smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, some say it is. I've heard of studies, but I think it boils down to the warmth of having support from friends and family. Taking the time to pray or meditate is a healthy way to focus, prioritize and clarify the clutter in one’s mind. But I won't disagree with someone saying that prayer actually works on a spiritual front as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... this is very controversial territory isn't it? Very deep theological vs. Science and logic stuff, huh? Does it indeed work, does it have a placebo effect, or does it just invite more disappointment and disillusionment?

Well, that all depends on what anyone tends to believe in when they think of religion. And that's murky territory if you ask me. Then of course, there are the REALLY negative types that think the universe is out to get them, and that prayer or even pleading invites O'Henry style irony.

Basically, I'm waiting for Steven Hawking to tear it down. :insatiable:

Nick22

Reaction score
well i'm catholic, and i've gone to catholic school for all my life. and i honestly do think that prayer works. obviously, that's what's been shoved down my throat by teacher and stuff for year, but i honestly believe it. i actually used to prayer all the time, but i've kinda been forgetting lately.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I'm not a religious or spiritual person and never really understoof how or why prayer works.

For example, if someone prayers to their god about trying to lose some weight, say 30 pounds, I don't know how that would work. The only way something like trying to lose weight would work would be to actually go out and get some exercise.

I also roll my eyes when people are talking to reporters after an event like having a tornado come by and miss someone's house and they usually say something like "I think god for the blessing of having my house intact", or however they phrase it. My line of reasoning is you got lucky and the tornado got another house instead of yours.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Praying ahould be more focused on support and strength rather than outcome.:halo::halo:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not to prove or disprove Hawking's findings, but it does assume that God didn't create gravity. Religous folk would find that to be a huge assumption. You'd think a man that technically brilliant would have addressed it. :confused::eek:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I grew up not indoctrinated into a particular religion and allowed to grow up making my own choice as to my belief system. I had experimented with various faiths/views. I've always had my skeptic side but there's been times where i was very active in church and considered myself religious. Today i am a full-fledged athiest.

The main reason is because of my experiences with prayer. During the times when i've been at my lowest and have prayed for help, things typically always got worse. It got to the point where either i had to somehow reconcile there being a supreme being that really was that cruel and delighted in my torment or to not believe in anything at all - the latter option was much preferable to the former. When i think of religion/prayer, i get the metaphor in my mind of falling down a huge deep hole in the ground and begging for help only to be given a ladder covered with thorns which you attempt to climb and when almost out and have your hands on the ledge, God gleefully tap dances on your hands with stiletto heels, kicks you off the ladder and back down the hole and takes away the ladder leaving you not only back where you started but with numerous broken bones, no way out and laughing at your misery. Just like in the Depeche Mode song "Blasphemous Rumours" ("I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours/But i think that God has a sick sense of humor/And when I die I expect to find him laughing")

I know this has a good chance of offending the more religious people on here but i should also point out that even though i am very soured on the whole notion of religion, prayer and a benevelent higher power personally i also fully own up to that belief system/experience being solely my own and would never dream of telling someone else what they should or shouldn't believe.

Now i also have believed at times in spirituality vs religion and have bought into the notion of a universal subconscious which essentially serves the same functions/ideas as prayer - this idea though hardly not new has received a major "rebirth" in the form of "The Secret" craze. But again - been there, done that, got the tshirt - it gave me a rash. When i pray in all broken earnestness and sincerity that i need help and have no one to turn to than whoever's listening to my prayer, the prayer always goes unanswered and things get worse as if i'm being punished for asking. I no longer ask nor believe. But again - that's just me; i'm not saying this is the case; it's only what i've directly experienced and has been a strong consistent pattern and bring it up solely because the topic of the validity/effectiveness of prayer has been asked about.